Options

Editing Standard Access Lists

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
I've again read conflicting info on this.

Looking to amend a standard IP access List. When I do a show access-list it shows as numbered, e.g

Standard IP access list 20
10 .............
20 .............
30 .............

I would have thought I could enter the access list then add another line, say 15 (in between the 10 and 20) but I've read the following statement.

"After an access list is created, any additions to that list number are placed at the end. Unfortunately, this means that you can't selectively add or remove items. The only removal that can be done is to remove the entire access list, which can obviously be a nuisance if you have extensive lists."

Basically the question is, if I want to amend/add entry to an access list, what is the proper method?

Comments

• Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    you can add in between these numbers.

You can also resynchronize the order if you run out of numbers in between.

Its possible to copy it out , use notepad and then put it back in edited, but this is a problem because it opens stuff up whilst your removing and pasting the new one in.

Adding lines in between then resynchronizing is preferred.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can drop into ip access-list config mode to edit ACLs that you created using access-list 20
    Once in there, just add the sequence # in front of the ACE.
    If you just add another line of access-list 20 the ACE will be appended to the end like the book says.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In older IOS version you couldn't edit them, but you can in newer releases.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Super, cheers guys.