Options

DNS Servers?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
Is a DNS Server actually a whole server or just the interface with the dns server ip address?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    DNS is usually an application running on a server. A DNS server can, and usually does, hold multiple roles - it does more than just be a DNS server.

The server uses TCP or UDP port 53 for the DNS communication.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iamme4eva wrote: »
    DNS is usually an application running on a server. A DNS server can, and usually does, hold multiple roles - it does more than just be a DNS server.

The server uses TCP or UDP port 53 for the DNS communication.

thanks, i was confusing a server with a router.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Node Man wrote: »
    i was confusing a server with a router.
    You actually asked an good question.

The term "server" is often used in a generalized sense to describe an architectural design concept (I.e. client-server) - not necessarily a server computer. So "server" doesn't necessarily mean a piece of hardware running a server operating system. A DNS client in your example would be the application that communicates with the DNS server. The DNS server could be an application running on a router, desktop, or even smartphone; basically any other computing device capable of hosting an application.

The same nomenclature is also used when people say "web server", "mail server", "X Server", etc..
  • Options
    DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    When i was first introduced to networking, this concept confused me as well. I always reverted back to the DHCP server concept. In your normal home set-up your router is the DHCP server gives out IP address's when you connect wirelessly to it or wired. In larger organisation some companies will have a stand alone server which does this along side active directory etc...

I suppose im just confirming what paul is saying, a server can be something big or something small as long as it runs a service. icon_smile.gif