Options

MCSA or CompTIA Network+ first?

neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am new here, but I just wanted to ask a question if possible.

I have been running my own business for a couple of years helping my wife get it off the floor, but now I want to come back to IT now she is up and running, but my question was where do I start?

My background was Helpdesk followed by SQL programming and I used to run a small PC and Laptop repair business.

My skills are varied but a master of nothing so to speak.

I want to be a Network Engineer as I started to look at this when I was doing helpdesk before I left.

Do I do CompTIA Network+ first? or should I go straight into 70-410, If I understand right I get 410, 411 and 412 and I become MCSA then I get another 3 413, 414 and 415 or am I way off?

Any help and advice would be very useful as in the future I intend to work out in Oz as I have family there.

One last thing I am not employed at the moment what sort of job should I be looking for as I see so many titles for things to do with networking

Thanks
Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the forums!

If your interests lie in Networking, the N+ is a good start that may help you land a Helpdesk gig. But since you've already had some experience in IT, moving straight to the CCENT/CCNA exams is probably more advisable since it gives you more bang for your buck. The Microsoft side of things is for System Admin/Engineering type roles where you work on servers and Microsoft operating systems. In any either case, I again recommend you skip all these Comptia exams and go straight to the Cisco/Microsoft stuff.

Where are you currently located, if I may ask. If you are going to come to Australia in the near future, then with regards to Comptia certifications - no one even looks at them. I've been in IT for about 7 years and have only seen the A+ once in a job ad for a PC repair technician. Comptia isnt as well-known here as it is in the US. Most HR folks only know about MCSA/MCSE/CCNA. Those are the three acronyms they know and these are usually what you'll see in most job ads. Apart from these, the VMware Certified Professional certification is hot these days, but it may be a little out of your league just yet (dont mean any offence by this).

Look for helpdesk/desktop support/NOC type roles. Tailor your resume for the job you are applying to. Flood your resume out. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options

Thank you so much for your reply, I currently live in the UK but it is a dream of my wife and our to take our kids to Oz for a better life plus we have family there, its funny that you are from Oz its like a sign :)

Network engineer is on the list as skilled way to get out there, but that is not the main reason for doing it, its just a perk, as I have always wanted to get in this side of things. I know it can come off the list at anytime but its been on there forever, am I right in assuming that they need IT professionals out there and they pay well??

I will source a helpdesk role even though its annoying to get people who say there computer is broken and just forgot to turn it on lol.

I am 30 now with kids and I want to provide with a field I know is stable.

Thank you again for the advice on what exams to do, I am going to get the CCNA one but I chose MCSE first is that ok as I have already bought the first book 410?

Can you just let me know what exams I need to become MCSE in networking as I see there is cloud bits and what not in there, and I can only see I need 410 411 and 412 for MSCA to start

Thanks again
  • Options
    Hey pommy! We have a large number of you here, so a few more wouldnt hurt I guess. J/k icon_wink.gif

Dunno what they mean by Network Engineer, is it an IT Network Engineer? It could mean anything mate, so maybe run that past a lawyer or someone who knows about migration here. Just had a look at the skilled list > http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf . They are pretty rigorous with what fits in that list, you've got to have documented proof of your work history. They'll ring up your employer to confirm your employment and if your self-employed they'll call up your tax office.

Do whatever exam that floats your boat mate, the CCNA or the MCSE. The CCNA is one/two exams (depending on whether you break it up or not) while the MCSE is 4-5 (I think). Not saying that the CCNA is easy, but if you weigh up One exam versus Four/Five, the MCSE turns out to be harder. Do what you like mate, not what's in demand. Both these certs are well-known amongst HR folks, so you cant go wrong with either.

You dont become an MCSE in Networking, the MCSE is for System Administration, while CCNA is for Network Administration/Engineering. There are a few MCSE's out there, the MCSE: Server Infrastructure would be what I'd focus on if I were you.

Have you put your papers in yet? Do it as soon as you can, they say there's like a 1.5-2 year wait for immigration application approvals from what I heard on the news the other day.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options

Ha Ha yes we are slowly taking over as your weather is better then ours :)

I have no idea what they mean either they have a few IT jobs on there so I am sure you can fit into one of them. When I searched jobs for CCNA in perth 18 came up and 118 came up for MCSE on the Seek site, just thought I would see your thoughts on that one?

Can I get a job with just CCNA or do I have to wait till I get MCSE as well after that?

MCSE System Administration that would be networking in a broad sense I guess, while it seem CCNA is all about networks like you said so I may have to go CCNA first then and hold on to the 410 book and get the other one.

Not put papers in yet, I am not skilled so they wont even look at me yet, but I am going to work on that as I have been out of the IT game expect for building my website for the last 3 years
  • Options
    Go with where your heart lies mate, dont go with the number of jobs in an area. If you hate sys administration, there's no point in pursuing the MCSE. Focus on the CCNA and get a job. Similarly, if you cant stand working on the CLI then the Microsoft route may be the way to go.

Apply for jobs, work towards the CCNA, get the CCNA, keep applying for jobs. The CCNA aint the magic ticket to a job. There are tons of people out there with the CCNA. So the CCNA may not be enough. Not trying to discourage you or anything, just telling you how it is out there. Then when you do get a job, see what you like - networks or systems. Pick your path accordingly. I started off doing Helpdesk at an ISP, then got a desktop support gig, then managed to land a contract position as a network engineer at Mobil. Hated almost every moment there, the CLI stuff wasnt for me. I switched to System Administration, it's been 6 years since and I love what I do. I have branched out in this thing called the "cloud" and work on Virtualization, Storage, Servers and what not. What I mean to tell you is you get a job first and you'll discover your passion soon. Stick it out mate, it'll take a while to get there but IT is a great field to be in.

Good luck with the visa thing, feel free to pm if you need more info.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options

Thanks mate,

Been looking into this all day, and yes CCNA is the way to go for now and I am working on the job front now. Once I get CCNA is the next step CCIE then? or is the CCNP next to make me stand above the rest if a lot of people have the CCNA. I see there is a big list of different certs for CCIE like Data and voice and what not?? Its all confusing.

I want to set myself apart so I can get a job over there when I come. Trying to decide if I should take CCNA exam as 2 or as 1

There are not a lot of helpdesk jobs where I am currently but I have applied to them all, as getting a network job will be hard without the Cert first. I am not sure where the passion lies for the moment but we shall see.

Do you know much about emigrating from here to there?

Oh do you know by any chance when it talks about skills for moving where the CCNA would rank with the assessment
  • Options
    The CCIE is the PhD of networking, you generally go from CCNA > CCNP > CCIE. This is logical path, however some people do go straight from the CCNA to the CCIE, but the gap is waaaaaay too big for most folks. It's almost impossible to obtain the CCIE without enterprise experience. Start off with the CCNA for now, see if you like it first. You can choose either, the Cisco route or the Microsoft way.

I dont know anything about the immigration process mate, sorry. There were a few poms in my previous company and they were all either sponsored by the company (one has excellent SCCM skills while the other is great at Virtualization) or were here on holiday visas (these folks have applied for permanent visas but been waiting for something like 1.5 years). What I do know is it isnt easy anymore for anyone to come into the country. They have really tightened the visa process and it's said it can take 2-3 years for a visa application to be looked at.

I also dont know what effect the CCNA may have on the assessment, that's a question for the immigration agents. Another bit of advice is to take to a few good immigration agents about your current skillset and experience, who knows maybe your website design thing may qualify. A colleague was telling me his multimedia and design experience helped him qualify, but that was about a year ago. Dunno if it still does. Maybe apply for a backpackers visa, get into the country, find a job, apply for your residency, if it works out great, if it doesnt well you can say you've been the best country in the world! Good luck.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options

Looking at working holiday visa but I am just ringing up now as it says my wife and kids cant visit me at any point which sounds harsh if they cant come over and visit and stay at my aunts while I work, my kids will miss me they are 3 and 2 lol
  • Options
    That sucks man, dunno what to suggest next. Do what you think is best mate!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..