Options

What lab set up did you use?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Did you install straight to a desktop or laptop or did you burn an ISO and run the OS off of VirtualBox or something similar?

Currently I am downloading the 64 bit OpenSUSE to try it out.

Just curious what type of set up you are all using. ***I am using VMVirtualBox to load all my images.

Comments

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I did not pass Linux+ but I have passed the equivalent LPIC-1 and I used VMware Workstation and for LPIC-2 / Red Hat i used VMware ESXi
  • Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used to use virtualbox. I had about 4 machines. 1 RPM-based server(scientific linux), 1 RPM-based client(scientific linux), 1 deb-based server(debian), 1 deb-based client(debian). You can use the internal virtual switch to make them communicate. Scientific linux is a RHEL clone kind of like CentOS but it actually has a version 6, CentOS is still at 5 I think.

If you have a budget or this existing hardware:

-Decent workstation or spare server
    -Enough storage on that server or a separate NAS/SAN device to hold vmdk images
    -VMware ESXi or other hypervisor

This is a bit overkill, but if you have to stuff it is fun to mess around with :) I already had a nice gaming workstation and I just bought a 200USD NAS for the VMDK images. I use it for my Cisco Voice training and Linux, so kills two birds plus it's fun for personal stuff to have a hypervisor in my house :D
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    for Linux+ you don't need more than 2 VMs imho
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    No, Centos is up to 6.3. I know because I have been fighting with it. I purchased an Acer maybe five years ago. Nothing wants to run right on it except Windows. I could run Centos 5.5, but not Centos 6.3. USB for keyboard and mouse would not work under 6.3.
  • Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dolev wrote: »
    for Linux+ you don't need more than 2 VMs imho

Yea, I guess that was my preference since I am continuing my learning beyond lpic1. And the hypervisor was needed for my Cisco.

Regardless, I recommend 1 rpm-based and 1 deb-based distro. Perhaps 1 server and 1 client.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never challenged the Linux+ but I thought I would add my 2 cents fwiw.

I use VMWare Player since it's free for non-commercial use. I like it a lot because its pretty simple to use. I run a stripped down Linux-based OS as my primary desktop and different VM's that provide me with various functionality that I need.