Options

Career path Linux or Windows?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just putting this out there to see if anyone has been in a situation. There seems to be a tug of war happening in my brain right now part of me is saying learn Windows Server become a Windows ninja whilst the other side of me is saying learn Linux . Does anyone else have this problem? With me I think I am leaning more towards the Linux route I enjoy it more and just find it more interesting. I try to do windows admin stuff like learn active directory but then I have negative thought patterns like with this time being wasted you could be learning Linux. It's really frustrated its like I cannot make my mind up or stick to one technology and master it. Anyone else have similar issues?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    yoshiiakiyoshiiaki Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    I try to do windows admin stuff like learn active directory but then I have negative thought patterns like with this time being wasted you could be learning Linux.

I would say go linux, what you said pretty much answers itself.
    2013 Goals: [x] Sec+ [x] CCNA []Proj+ []OSCP
    2013 Stretch Goals: [] CCNA-Sec []Land Sec job
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    all the time ... ALL THE TIME

im leaning to linux and getting 70-685 to get desktop support

ive also thought about getting a mac cert as well seeing as they are gaining alot of popularity lately
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I'd say learn Linux. Here's why....

1. Linux is big in the server/data-center world.

2. Linux is big in Europe.

3. Linux is getting bigger for regular desktop and notebook use because Intel is backing it with their newest hardware.

4. There are LUGs all over the place in the UK.

5. NixiePixel.
  • Options
    My thought patterns recently can only be described as technology bipolar lol. What I mean by this is somedays I wake up and think yeah today I'm going to become a windows guru so then I setup dc's active directory and stuff then I swing to the opposite scale and think f##k this Linux Linux so then out comes the Debian and Redhat and The next days are spent dabbling in the Cli.

I need to become more focused in my heart I think that I find learning about Linux more interesting. I want to learn more about setting it up and getting it to coexist in a windows essentially eliminating the need for windows server side altogether is this possible?

From a cert kind of perspective was looking at sitting down taking baby steps and going for the Linux+ with the eventual goal of RHCSA / RHCE.

Does anyone know of some realistic Linux goals I could set myself to broaden my knowledge.

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Here are some realistic Linux goals...

1. Build or buy a system that is ideal for Linux use. Not all desktop hardware works well with Linux though you can install it on pretty much anything. Going with an Ivy Bridge or Haswell CPU from Intel is the best way to go because Intel has the best platform for Linux. In fact, you can pick up one of those Intel NUC boxes, install 16GB of memory and an mSATA SSD, and get a perfect Linux desktop that zings and zips.

2. Build or buy a personal Linux server. If you want a career in Linux, you have to learn the server stuff.

3. Obtain Ubuntu certification. It's easier than Red Hat since Ubuntu is 100% free. Then you can use that as a launchpad - no pun intended - to get the Linux+ and other certs.
  • Options
    Currently rocking a Ivy bridge setup 3.5. Ghz with 8 gig Ram, 2 terabyte storage.

Also have a shuttle AMD x2 5000, with 4 gig Ram.

Distro wise I run centos or Debian or Red Hat 6 eval. Study materials I have Linux+ roderick smith and train signal videos Veronica Henry.

Red Hat study wise I have jangs book and Redhat 6 CBT's

I see that the new Linux+ book is coming out (roderick smith) I may invest and get busy with vm's and detail everything I learn with Evernote.

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am leaning towards Linux myself cert wise. Seems all the security side applications are Unix based and I find myself relying on the man page way too much since I am not totally comfortable with it. I do need to relearn Microsoft Windows Server especially 2012 it seems like the complexity jumped way up from the 2003 days.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "There are some IT tropes that have been around for so long one takes them for granted. There is a belief that Unix machines, including Linux, BSD and Mac OS X, are better than anything. Not only is Unix better than Windows, a fact taken as a given in IT, but those who manage them are also better, smarter and more logical than Windows admins. Not to mention more “pure” than other admins. (Richard Stallman is perhaps the leading avatar for this belief, whether he believes it or not.)" Real Admins are Unix Admins? Sure « David Moisan's IT

Basically *nix admins tend to have a deeper understanding of is actually happening unlike alot of windows admins that learn to set things up by clicking on the GUI's buttons without knowing whats actually happening in the back end to accomplish your task. I started out as a Windows Admin and everything I learned about Active Directory helped me learn learn to setup and configure SAMBA on *nix servers.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    What kind of job opportunity do you have right now? If there's something to be learned on the job (be it Windows or Linux) then make use of that first.

As for realistic goals towards a Linux career. Follow this path: Linux+ (you can skip this exam) ==> RHCSA ==> try to get a full time Linux job ==> RHCE

Remember that it's not just Linux, chances are you will deal with more Unix (Solaris/AIX/HP UX) on the back-end side of things, but the skills are transferable. Once you learn one flavor, the rest is easy.

Enjoy the ride icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    Without a doubt go for Linux, required knowledge that only will provide you added value in the long run.
  • Options
    Job Wise currently I am working for a Social Enterprise that specializes in refurbishing donated computer hardware for resell. Before this I worked on a help desk doing 1st support in a Windows Environment, ( Server 2k3, XP)

The infrastructure currently is pretty minimal we have one Linux Server (running SME server) Acting as the DC, The I.T Maintenance of this server is handled by external sources. We use Google mail for email. As for what I do on a day to day basis mainly refurbish computers, fix laptops there is hardly any networking / server maintenance. I do however get access to a broad range of hardware.

Linux experience wise I am comfortable installing various distros, Am comfortable using the cli can use Vim for config files, Can do the basic configuration through cli i.e change hostname get static I.P details. Familiar with package management both rmp and apt. Have setup SAMBA shares at home via config files using guides. Can understand the file system layout. I'm not a programmer but am interested in the server side of things and basically eliminating the need for Windows servers. Am will to get hands dirty and am not afraid to read man pages or use the cli

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have this problem all the time, but i decided that being proficient with both is the best option. Maybe someday i will find a specialized role that will lead me one way or another.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I moved to linux business quite late, in 2005 (being in IT business since '95), mostly because I didnt find until then a linux-related job.
    I'm happy now with this decision, seems it was a very good one, and combined with some networking skills, it is a perfect way for me to advance in career.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I think being diverse in your skillset is advantageous in this situation. I have found since moving to linux administration 1.5 years ago my all-around understanding of a lot of things including Windows administration has increased.

That said, I still don't know if I would be happy working somewhere without *nix in the future. I love working with it!
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    The answer is BOTH!

I beg to differ. There are a lot of people out there claiming to be experts in both. Most of them are not. Do one thing and do it right. You can still add the other platform later, should you feel the need.

I myself have stayed clear of Windows, my whole CV screams Linux/Unix. Of course, I will not get the jobs that require above-user Microsoft knowledge but the companies looking for a Linux/Unix expert immediately see that I am their man.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unless you want to learn one, don't. If you are experiencing thoughts of "I don't want to do this" when you're working on Windows, then go learn Linux. You can have a successful career in either or with both. I think that realistically, you are likely to touch both throughout your career, but if you seek roles focusing in one you will obviously not use the other much. And that's okay. There's lot of money to be made and fun to be had working with either. Neither platform is going away anytime soon, and I haven't seen any indication that they're even ceding market share to each other in any particular server-side area.

However, if the issue is that you don't like using GUI tools to perform basic administrative tasks, that's a different problem. High-skill Microsoft-platform jobs generally do not revolve around management and implementation of individual servers.

For example, I currently am working 90% on operating system and application delivery driven almost entirely by SCCM. I use the SCCM admin console for a lot, but a big part of my job (maybe 30-40%) is writing PowerShell and batch scripts, WMI queries, and SQL reports. For as much as I use AD Users and Computers, Sites and Services, and Domains and Trusts, I use PowerShell cmdlets, netdom, net, psexec, repadmin, ntdsutil, and so on.

That isn't to say that the sum of the differences between Windows and Linux is that more repeatable tasks are GUI-driven in Windows (which isn't a bad thing, frankly). I just want to throw out there if your aversion to Windows is that you're not writing scripts, that's probably the wrong reason to get into Linux. There's is just as much script-driven automation going on in Windows and you can, with some exceptions, do quite a bit in CMD and PowerShell. The difference is at low levels you don't need or have a good reason to use as many scripts or even command-line tools in Windows. Again, that might seem unrewarding earlier in your career, but in the long run it is IMO not a bad thing that you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's possible to do "BOTH" as one of the posters said but recognize you'll be an expert at one thing and versed at the other. It's possible to aim to be a Linux master and still understand Microsoft Server. One of the beautiful things about Server 2008/2012 is that it's not overly difficult to become proficient in. Not at the architect level, but as a functional Server administrator.

I read today in Twitter that DICE was reporting Linux gigs were a hot ticket. Just remember that the Linux their referring to is command line server based stuff, not downloading Linux Mint and using it as a Desktop.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I know Linux, and versions of Unix. I have worked, Red Hat lots, Centos, and Fedora. Not much else in Linux, but have completed LinuxFromScratch twice. Currently work full time on Solaris, but have worked HP, SGI, and Solaris when it was SunOS. I'm glad you said it was easy to become profiecient in Windows. I don't know where to get started on it though. Most places who want Linux and/or Linux, still want you to know Windows.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Learning basic Windows Server skills isn't overly tough. If you want a acquire a well rounded knowledge of Windows Server 2008, I'd suggest the 70.646 exam from MS. That alone will let you talk the talk and walk the walk in a Windows environment. Generally, the more basic Server work in Windows is printer configuration, file servers, etc. Active Directory is usually more advanced, especially in larger environments where it's often a specific job. If you know UNIX, you'll already know DNS.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem using GUI or Cli tools to get a job done. I'm quite happy to use either Windows or Linux but something draws me more towards Linux could be the whole open source ethos of things.

I wouldn't mind getting my skill set to a stage where I could setup and implement a Linux server for say a small business which would eliminate the need for a Microsoft server. So I would need to know skills like SAMBA, Firewalls, DHCP, DNS, LDAP, FTP, Apache, Bash Scripting.
    That is the kind of goal I have but where to start? I haven't found a good training resource like MS Press Books to teach me the above.

How did you guys about learning all this stuff?

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I decided to do the Windows path, only because I wanted to take advantage of second shot, but ultimately Linux is what and where I want my mastery to lay... So even though i will continue with about 4 more M$ Certs before this Summer, After this year, I plan on making more of my investment to any O/S focus on Linux, I see tons of jobs and people asking for it.. Tons. And i believe it will be "cool" to learn and know.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    antielvis wrote: »
    . Just remember that the Linux their referring to is command line server based stuff, not downloading Linux Mint and using it as a Desktop.

+1

That's a very good point. A lot of people claim to be Linux experts because they use it on desktops (and have installed many 'flavors) and can configure the wireless internet and so on but in reality they can't replace a failed disk in a production server, can't troubleshoot performance issues with services, can't fix storage issues in a linux server...etc.

Also, there are Network/telecom engineers who 'deal' with Linuxs and can reset services and read the application's error messages or setup an Ip or even configure an LDAP client or right simple scripts ==> this is good knowledge but doesn't translate to being a Linux administrator. There's a difference. These skills are fine, but they're not enough to make a Unix/Linux administrator IMHO.

The topics in the prep guides of RHCSA/RHCE are an example of the things Linux administrators should know, but they need to be complimented with Hardware knowledge, understanding of Networking, thorough understanding of SAN/Storage and backup technologies, and an understanding of Information Security principles. I think this is true for Windows administrators as well but YMMV
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Thanks for the replies very insightful. I have decided to go down the Linux route this is going to be a long path but worthwhile in the end. I will be starting right at the bottom and am going to create a good foundation and understanding.

So the plan of attack is to setup a lab consisting of Debian and Red Hat.

(Basic Linux Knowledge)
    Read Roderick Smiths Linux+ book, do lot's of lab work i.e get a feel of how commands work, man pages etc
    Read accidental Linux administrator book again take notes and lab.
    Watch Linux+ Veronica Henry train signal videos and lab work to cement information and understand concepts

(Advanced)
    RHSCA - Read Jangs Book And Lab, Follow up knowledge with White Papers

(Side Projects)

Purchase Raspberry Pi and Tinker
    Learn Zentyal for GUI administration
    Learn how to Bash script and 1 programming language i.e python or perl
    Learn About creating a Windows Network with a Linux Server i.e LDAP, Active directory integration

Depending on progress eventual aim will be to go for the RHCSE and get my knowledge to the stage where I can provide Open Source Solutions i.e server setups for small companies I could even freelance or start my own company the possibilities are endless.

• Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    If your looking for employment or getting into IT, I would go for Windows then later on switch to UNIX.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with many people on this thread. I think linux in general helped me understand server administration to the point where It's even made me a better windows admin. I just couldn't bring myself to grasp server related concepts from a windows perspective before using linux but that's mainly because the windows approach seems almost boring.
  • Options
    I think you have hit the nail on the head, I find windows administration very boring in comparison with Linux

• Options
    WiseWun wrote: »
    If your looking for employment or getting into IT, I would go for Windows then later on switch to UNIX.

Generally I think most folks start on Help Desk, work their way up to Desktop Support & then sort of venture off into a specialty. Linux is growing in the medium sized business realm, but it's mostly used in the larger organization. I believe the reason is that finding support in the SMB environment is simply too challenging.

There are specific industries where Linux is used in a desktop capacity. It's common in film & media, the petroleum industry and in developer houses. Of course these industries tend to be specific to certain cities so you'd need to relocate. Specific types of IT seems to be specific to certain cities.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    I think you have hit the nail on the head, I find windows administration very boring in comparison with Linux

I feel the same way, Linux makes you think about what your trying to do and you learn allot by using it not just about Linux but about the services that can run on it.