Options

Are you a "user"

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
Computers are 'electronic cocaine' that make you MANIC ? The Register

This article really resonates with me, anyone else?

I think this is just part of who I am, I found that I needed to remove myself from Facebook as this drains my time. I use it as a mindless distraction like the TV. I have noticed I waste so many hours infront of the new idiot box. I need to go back to my "roots" of why I use a Computer and not end up as a user of the drug I sell. icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i fight for the users

Edit : actually, Tron references aside, i think this article deserves a real response:

The article utilizes that standard "controversy and sensationalism" technique that many pop articles employ.

Calling anything 'cocaine' is of course going to spark up some drama.

Mankinds ability to focus on the abstract and intangible is not only what makes us special, but it is what helps us advance. Maybe we focus on stuff too much and lose track of ourselves.

For example, time is just another resource, if someone is good at managing time, money, exercise and also capable of managing the intensity of their energy, then they will have a much more well rounded life than someone whom stares at facebook 23 hours a day.

Just my 2 cents,
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darn it Node. I just don't have the heart to do a Tron reference anymore.

As far as addicting? meh. It's the same for those that like to work out, or play games, or mainline caffeine.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the article is actually spot on, we are becoming addicted to technology. Our society is one that is always "connected" and reachable from just about anywhere. A perfect example would be my father. He's 62, so he grew up without a computer and honestly until the 80's he never touched one. Now he has a laptop, an iTouch, and a Facebook. He's on Facebook two or three times a day and when on vacation he'd complain about an inability to get an email (thus the laptop and iTouch). I myself feel "naked" if I forget my cellphone. It's definitely a sad state of affairs when I have forgotten my keys more then I have forgotten my cellphone.

I honestly think Ted Kaczynski was right about technology. If you have a chance I would suggest reading "What Technology Wants" by Kevin Kelly. It is a very interesting read and frames the topic very well. Since we used a Tron reference, let us use a Matrix reference. Humans build the machines. Machines reach our intelligence, even surpass it. We try to destroy them and war breaks out. Now humans are hiding in the "core" of the Earth. What do we do? Create machines to sustain our environment. How much sense does that make? Neo argues you could turn them off, but could you? Obviously, as people have said, this is a "pop" article, but if you do further reading you can see the point much better.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the worst drug of all is the smartphone. Go watch a group of young people in a social setting such as a bar. They are probably all ignoring each other while browsing interwebz/texting/listening to music while out with people. I think it's kind of weird and rude.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was at a restaurant recently and saw a family of four praying before eating their meal. I thought, "how nice, a display of family togetherness in a public setting". Then I got closer and realized that they were each looking down at their separate smart phones.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    I think the worst drug of all is the smartphone. Go watch a group of young people in a social setting such as a bar. They are probably all ignoring each other while browsing interwebz/texting/listening to music while out with people. I think it's kind of weird and rude.

I think we have to remember that to people not all that long ago, watching TV would have been considered strange. people sitting in the same room staring at a picture on a box and not talking..

Technology is doing strange things to people, I think how what is acceptable to the older generation (i put my self in that group despite being in me 30's) is very different to the young generation who have grown up on the smart phone.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I check my phone all the time, but usually when bored by whatever is going on around me. But also when I'm checking to see if various friends are coming and/or arrived thus looking for me. It has become an extension of myself and various other 20 somethings (and below).

Everyone should definitely check out "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace". I really enjoy this topic and find it ironic that I was i, Robot last night....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the real crux of the article, is that we are turning to computers for a stronger dose of our Information/Entertainment drug fix. It's a higher form of procrastination and instant gratification than ever before. As the article states, it's not "all" but for some it's a strong addiction. I myself am guilty of it, When i find myself in downtime I not outside, at the beach or going for a run. I'm getting my kicks on the Computer, I find it hard to get satisfaction from the same things I did years ago as their "hit" pails in comparison to the machine.

The main problem I'm finding is I can kid myself into thinking I'm working or doing something constructive, personally if I was to count hours spent on the computer vs. productive hours (not just work, but learning too) It would be a very high ratio of farting around to work. I believe that I've become a "user" where once I was a Hobbyist & Professional, I'm now just another soul who wastes their life on YouTube, Facebook and trying to keep up with whimsical news articles on Gadgets and Tech. I need to get back to my roots, Either I'm using the Machine to do constructive work or I'm not touching it. It's such a waste of time & such a grand delusion of importance, I'm sick of going on holidays and feeling as if i'm "not connected".

This article refers to all walks of life, But I'm aiming this at those in the industry. Those who make a crust from working with Computers/Networks and such.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I think we have to remember that to people not all that long ago, watching TV would have been considered strange. people sitting in the same room staring at a picture on a box and not talking..

Technology is doing strange things to people, I think how what is acceptable to the older generation (i put my self in that group despite being in me 30's) is very different to the young generation who have grown up on the smart phone.

I can understand sitting with your friends and watching some TV together. I can't understand meeting friends and then ignoring them for your smartphone. I check mine when I'm with people too but that's only if we are trying to meet people or maybe we need some sort of info, otherwise my iPhone is always on silent and in my pocket.