Options

Absolue Beginner

tcornett321tcornett321 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've worked numerous odd ball jobs for the past 16-17 years and I don't have much to show for it. It's obvious that I'll get nowhere if I continue this path. It's finally come to mind that I need to choose a career and this is where I'll start. I.T.

I've read thru some info in various places trying to figure out how to start up in this field. So far I'm leaning toward getting A+ and then network+ in that order.

I'm looking for some good advice.

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i wish i had A+. seems like a great place to start and appears to require a lower passing score then the cisco certs.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think A+ and Windows 7 70-680 are great certifications to look at.

A+ would be the first one IMO.

At this point anything with Windows 7 will get you on the service desk and or deskside support. A+ is great overall certification, I have seen it required or recommended for service desk, NOC, deskside, server support, etc. It's well known and a great intro.

Network + scares me, the exam is ~250 USD, I would focus on knowing some of the material but wouldn't take the exam. I hardly ever see the actual certification required for a position.

If you have the stomach for it then I would consider a Windows 7 certification. Again like A+ these are usually perferred and sometimes required for the positions I listed above.

If you are into the idea of a NOC then maybe Linux + or CCENT would be a consideration. Both are nice certifications but very niche.

This is just my opinion.
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My teachers have always said that the A+ Net+ and Sec+ are a good start to get your foot in the door. From there you can choose which way to go. I'm currently working towards my Sec+. After that i'm thinking of going the MS path...Again, that's just my opinion. I don't know if the MTA certs hold much weight but they're definitely worth looking into! Good luck!
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • Options
    nXPLOSinXPLOSi Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did A+ then N+ when I started out and they gave me a good base to start from. They also ease you in to the testing environment if you haven't done exams in that fashion previously.
    Twitter - ClarkFx