Options

Is a PPP the same as a static ip?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
Does a Point to Point require a static ip address? Or are they not related?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Two routers using PPP between them right? It's not really a "I need a static IP here" topic really. Routers need IP addresses, so in a way yes we do "static" them seeing as how we do input the IP on the interface.

You can also use DHCP on a router interface, however I don't see many instances where that is applicable. We as engineers subnet and cut up our WAN links accordingly and document them (at least you should doc them). I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this but to me "static" is a term that doesn't fit here.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    PPP in relation to Point to Point Protocol - is a protocol, the format/language the routers use to speak to each other over the link. Point-to-point protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Point-to-Point links refer 2 devices that are directly connected or refer to 2 devices that can communicate over a link simulated as a point-to-point where only the 2 devices can speak to each other.

Hope this helps. Ether way the devices will need a IP address whether it is static or dynamically assigned.

P.S. That is the symbol of the Adeptus Mechanicus isn't it
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    As has already been said, PPP is a protocol.

For a point to point link, by definition, there can only be the two routers on the link.

I would seem like a lot of wasted effort to set up one router as a DHCP server with an address pool of one address just to issue an address to the other router.

While it doesn't have​ to be statically assigned, it would be logical.

AFTER THOUGHT: If you were using a point to point sub interface over NBMA, I'm pretty sure it would have to be statically assigned, because I think a DHCP Discover is a broadcast.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk