My Strategy for passing security plus

OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
Currently, my only certification is ITIL Foundations 2011. From a career perspection, A+ certification would be a waste of my time. I would considering Net + but it just does not interst me, and I already know a failry in depth amount of the information covered. I've decided to jump straight to the Security + certification - which intersts me a great deal.

I am going to work with a 2-3 month timeframe to study and prepare myself. My strategy is to use all of the professor messer videos - which I'm about half way through with - and then to read Darril Gibson's book, multiple times, if necessary. I've already purchased it and it looks like a great book. I will then do as many practice questions as possible for several weeks.

Thoughts?

I'll let ya know when I pass.

Comments

  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums.

    Your plan sounds good. If anything, I'm thinking you might be giving yourself too much time, especially if you've already gone through half of the videos. One thing you might want to consider is to time how long it takes you to read a single chapter and do the practice test questions at the end. You'll probably take a little longer on some chapters and shorter on others, but this will give you a better indication about how long it'll take you to go through the book.

    Feel free to post any questions you have here. There are a lot of helpful people on these forums.

    Good luck.
  • DoubleNNsDoubleNNs Member Posts: 2,013 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just my opinion - I think you might benefit more from reading Darril Gibson 1st and then doing the PM videos.
    At least I did.
    Goals for 2018:
    Certs: RHCSA, LFCS: Ubuntu, CNCF CKA, CNCF CKAD | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, AWS Solutions Architect Pro, AWS Certified Security Specialist, GCP Professional Cloud Architect
    Learn: Terraform, Kubernetes, Prometheus & Golang | Improve: Docker, Python Programming
    To-do | In Progress | Completed
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I read Darril's book and looked at the same videos and think you are well on your way. The tests at the end of each chapter are priceless, they really fortify the knowledge obtained from the chapter. I would recommend sitting for the exam when you are finished with both. There some videos about the new "performance based questions" that you should watch also just so you have an idea of what to expect.

    Something else I recommend to aid in your studies is the security+ app also written by Darril. You will find it worth while looking over and studying when all you have is few minutes to study..... (priceless in my opinion).


    Good luck to you, sounds like you are on the right track and will do just fine.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are already very familair with the N+ material, 3 months is excessive for S+ with Darril's book.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Omniman what career are you aiming for?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    da_vato wrote: »
    I read Darril's book and looked at the same videos and think you are well on your way. The tests at the end of each chapter are priceless, they really fortify the knowledge obtained from the chapter. I would recommend sitting for the exam when you are finished with both. There some videos about the new "performance based questions" that you should watch also just so you have an idea of what to expect.

    Something else I recommend to aid in your studies is the security+ app also written by Darril. You will find it worth while looking over and studying when all you have is few minutes to study..... (priceless in my opinion).


    Good luck to you, sounds like you are on the right track and will do just fine.
    Thank you for your advice and perspectice. Can you please advise me where to locate the veideos ont he performance based questions? Additonally, where can I find this app?

    Thanks again!
  • OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Omniman what career are you aiming for?
    I'm currently a project coordinator. I'm probably going for business systems analyst next, but I wanted to get the secutiry + in-case I wanted to do something techy down the road. Thoughts?
  • OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    da_vato wrote: »
    I read Darril's book and looked at the same videos and think you are well on your way. The tests at the end of each chapter are priceless, they really fortify the knowledge obtained from the chapter. I would recommend sitting for the exam when you are finished with both. There some videos about the new "performance based questions" that you should watch also just so you have an idea of what to expect.

    Something else I recommend to aid in your studies is the security+ app also written by Darril. You will find it worth while looking over and studying when all you have is few minutes to study..... (priceless in my opinion).


    Good luck to you, sounds like you are on the right track and will do just fine.
    Is there any specific N+ material you would reccomend being familiar with for the Security +?
  • OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums.

    Your plan sounds good. If anything, I'm thinking you might be giving yourself too much time, especially if you've already gone through half of the videos. One thing you might want to consider is to time how long it takes you to read a single chapter and do the practice test questions at the end. You'll probably take a little longer on some chapters and shorter on others, but this will give you a better indication about how long it'll take you to go through the book.

    Feel free to post any questions you have here. There are a lot of helpful people on these forums.

    Good luck.
    Thank you Darril, I'm really enjoying your book so far :). I typically use the Sybex books, but I heard such good things about your book and those reviews were right!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @OmniMan, glad you're enjoying the book. As far as N+ material, the book covers the relevant Networking topics for the Security+ exam. It's just that the networking topics come much easier to people that have just studied and passed the Network+ exam. As a project coordinator, some of the networking topics might be beyond what you're familiar with. The Microsoft Windows Networking Essentials (ISBN 111801685icon_cool.gif might be of interest to you. It's targeted for a MTA Networking certification but covers most of the relevant networking topics at a basic level. On the performance based questions, you might like to take a look at this blog: Get Certified Get Ahead | Security+ and Performance Based Questions.

    Good luck.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    OmniMan wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice and perspectice. Can you please advise me where to locate the veideos ont he performance based questions? Additonally, where can I find this app?

    Thanks again!

    My apologies for leaving you hanging OmniMan, go to which ever App Store you have and search for "Comptia Security+" you should see an app that has a pink and orange shield with a wireless signal, the developer is "Konnect L.L.C"
Sign In or Register to comment.