Options

How to read and take notes

rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI everyone
I hope you have fun.
I got a question and need your help:I am preparing myself for an exam like Network+ or any other exam.What is the best way(deep and quick enough)to both master the topic and also learn necessary parts for exam?Sometimes I have difficulty adjust the speed of my reading and the depth of it .I know there is another similar post but i think that takes a long time.
And when I wanna take notes which parts are important to take?
I appreciate any tip and help

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Use numerous sources, use the 50-10-50 method (50 minutes of study, 10 minute break, another 50 minutes of study). Do a search for "Cornell Notes." Great way to study for any exam.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use E-books. So I cut copy and Paste into Microsoft Note.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Thanks a lot.Microsoft Note is a great tool,however I am reading the book itself and the Bokeh's suggested ways look pretty good.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paraphrase what you read in your own words and then copy down any specifications into a tab-delimited table. I use oneNote and make separate pages for each topic.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @rampage,

The best way to prepare is to have some experience. Having experience handling the hardware or software involved in your particular area of study will help solidify the information you known and the information you newly learn.

Otherwise, for CompTIA information, base your study off the objectives. If you can teach the objectives to someone who knows nothing, then you have a good understanding of the material.

You may read and underline, make notes (on paper, in the margin of the book or even electronically), but if you do not understand the material you are reading (i.e. the vocabularly is foreign to you) then you can do everything including memorize the content and very little will make sense. Net+ is a pretty easy exam and therefore the content is pretty straight forward. If the material seems difficult for you, then you likely need more practice with the material and re-read the book several times.

Set small goals on your way to your main goal. You will get there.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't take notes on my books as I don't really feel the need and I don't like mucking up books with highlighter marks. Every computer cert related book includes a chapter summary at the end. My tactic has been to skim a book once in order to familiarize myself with the material. Now during the second reading you need to read slower and reread anything you don't understand. I'll also watch videos on the topic I'm studying which I find helpful for letting me become familiar with the material.

Would I learn more efficiently if I took notes while reading? Who knows, I think different people learn differently. Some are audio, visual, or kinesthetic learners or a mix of all three.
  • Options
    Wow great posts .I am thankful for your information.
    Actually,I have good experience for Network+ exam and I am not worry about it.My point was to know the best way for reading not to waste my time. I think that's better i give them all a try to know which one is the best.
    Good point Plantwiz icon_thumright.gif:If you can teach the objectives to someone who knows nothing, then you have a good understanding of the material.That's what i should do .
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For reading material I use the SQ3R method. I find it works pretty great because you're asking questions about the information as you go, which makes reading more of an activity instead of feeling like passive absorption.

When I watch CBT Nuggets or other videos/lectures, I use the Cornell Notes method. I personally find it better suited for taking notes from speech rather than text.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a terrible memory for facts, and I mean bad bad bad. In fact its been tested and shown to be in the bottom 2 or 3%. So for me note taking has always been a nessesary evil.

I tried mind mapping for a while, but found it got messy and complicated to quickly. Now days I simple note down topic headers as a read them, under each header is either a "tick" suggesting I know the topic, or a list of commands I need to practice the topic, and some very basic first principles.

I then go through the notes and practice the topics I need to, followed by re-reading the notes and writing them out afresh, each time condensing them until I end up with a simple list of the course topics, and a bunch of ticks.

So far its the only way that's worked for me.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.