Options

Graduated, Got Security+ Certified, A+ soon. Questions?

XXNONAMEXXXXNONAMEXX Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just graduated college with an associates in network administration. I got my Security+ and am going for my A+. QUESTION: Is it true that these certs are "lifetime" certs that don't "expire" also I am not in the field yet and have some experience in regards to troubleshooting, upgrading, repairing PC's. I hope the A+ can get me into the field since I have found several jobs that are looking for the cert before even applying. I hope the Security+ cert can help me also. My question is once after the A+ what do you feel is the hottest cert right now? I know there are different paths to take and I would like to get into troubleshooting and repair which the A+ gives me and get more into the path of security but as of now with little experience I am a little lost. I have read about Microsoft having certs that along with the Security+ as an elective can get me a MCSA. I am not familiar with this but saw it on a website and was wondering what that exactly gives me. Also is it a changing cert like the Cisco CCNA which I took courses in college and they changed as soon as I completed the course? Thanks for all help and info much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With every new version of Windows server there is a new MCSA/E track. Once your are certified it doesn't expire, but the individual exams retire. You don't have to keep taking the new exams, but your knowledge could get outdated.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Thanks that is what I was trying to understand so you don't need to keep retaking the newer exams but the knowledge will be a lil old. What do you think about the way I am going about it? I figure I have the Security+ b/c I know security is always big and am very interested in keeping everything secure. The A+ I hope will get me some great experience but i would like to further my certs keeping on the Security track and heard that 3 Microsoft exams I can become MCSA certified but what exactly does that mean for me? Remember having the knowledge is excellent but w/o experience is no good. Thanks
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    What do you want to do for a career? How much IT experience do you have? The two most important questions can set your IT path for you. Let us know what you're into, and I'm sure many people here will help you with reccos and ideas.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    IT experience besides courses through school and PC troubleshooting thats it so far. I love troubleshooting computers. Wouls love to get into more security. I know you can't become a millionaire overnight in this field but I just want to become successful in helping fix and secure computers. I wouldn't mind having an entry level networking cert.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Network+ is the entry level cert from Comptia. I don't know of any other entry level network certs. What sounds more interesting.....Systems administration, or Network Administration? You have to start somewhere, and without experience, I honestly don't see any entry level security jobs. A+ probably won't get you a job alone either. A lot of companies don't list it because at that level, you're expected to know that stuff anyway. For Systems, you would look towards M$ certs. For networking, you'd look at Cisco certs. I would recco M$ just because like I said, you have to start somewhere, and I've seen it be easier to get a helpdesk/admin job versus a network security job. I'm sure others will chirp in as I go to sleep now, so you'll have lots of good opinions and advice to consider.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should choose certifications based on your interests and how attainable the certification is. Don't choose MCSA just because they will waive a test for you. Choose it if you are really interested in getting an administration cert. The attainability of a certification would be determined by your experience.

The MCSA must be upgraded regularly. You do this by taking an upgrade exam. Each time Microsoft releases a new OS they start up a new cert track. They had one for NT, 2000, & 2003. We can safely assume there will be one for Vista as well. The IT iindustry is constantly changing so it is no suprise that the certs change as well.

Upgrading Cisco certs is a little different. If you get a Cisco cert, you can upgrade it by passing an exam in a higher category. For example, If you want to renew your CCNA, take a CCNP exam.

Once you get out in the workforce you will better understand what you like and don't like. If you know what job you would like to have you can look at job postings and see what they ask for in the way of certifications and work towards that.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan