Options

Difference between Network+ and CCNA exam?

palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me the difference between CCNA and Network+ exams in terms of syllabus,networking knowledge,how difficult they are and their demand when it comes to a job hunt in the networking field?

Is Network+ the easier one compared to CCNA?

Is it quivalent to CCENT/ICND1 exam?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want to know the details of the exam objective just go to Cisco or CompTIA's web sites.

Most people view the CCNA as the harder of the two.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kweevusskweevuss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took both in the last year. The network+ is a good start to certifications if you have never tried to study one before. N+ for me, covered basically the basis of networking and the theory behind it, which in turn did help me for the ICND1. You will basically learn most of the theory stuff again in ICND1, plus more.

So the ICND1 is harder IMO and the CCNA is much more involved
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want to know the details of the exam objective just go to Cisco or CompTIA's web sites.

Most people view the CCNA as the harder of the two.

Thanks for the information..seen people having both the certifications..so just wanted to know if both are same then I see no point in writing both the exams
  • Options
    I honestly don't see any sense in doing both. If you plan to go the networking route it's best to just head down the CCNA path. If you plan to be a systems admin or something similar and just need an ovrview of networking then the Net+ might be a little better fit.
  • Options
    fivedollarcouchfivedollarcouch Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I honestly don't see any sense in doing both. If you plan to go the networking route it's best to just head down the CCNA path. If you plan to be a systems admin or something similar and just need an ovrview of networking then the Net+ might be a little better fit.

agreed. if you are heading for networking, skip the net+ and start with CCENT. granted my knowledge is outdated because i took it 4 or 5 years ago, but the network+ was kind of useless to me. i had no networking experience (just pc repair), plowed through the online community college class in one weekend and passed the net+ that monday. really just came down to memorizing cable lengths and types. im sure theyve beefed it up since, but its going to be redundant basics if you head for CCENT/CCNA.
    2013 goals (old)
    CCENT (passed) | CCNA | JNCIA-Junos | CCNA:Security | WGU Enrollment

2013 goals (new job means new focus)
    CCENT (passed) | VCP5-DV (class 1st week of april, cert by end of april) | WGU Enrollment | CCNA | MCSA:Server2k8
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Network+ is good for general knowledge and the CCENT makes networking concepts applicable on CISCO equipment. The same information you learn on the Network+ will be useful on the CCENT and CCNA. There is a decent amount of overlap from Network+ to the CCENT, but I wouldn't completely rule it out unless you are already IN the networking world. The Network+ is a gentle ramp up to the CCENT. Some of us may need that, again, if you NEW to the networking world. Just my opinion.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    I can tell you straight up that I would not even consider a network+ only for a junior network engineering position.
    CCNA (or Juniper equivalent etc.) or bust!
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would not skip Network+. Network+ teaches you about everything that is networking. CCNA will not teach you what a GBIC is or the difference between a SC and a LC end on multimode fiber but NET+ will. CCNA will fill in the blanks that NET+ doesnt go deep into. CCNA doesnt teach you what a Demarc point is but its required to know if you want any job in the network field. If you dont plan on getting the cert then atleast read a Network+ book once.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    You can learn all that stuff without spending money on the Net+ exam. I don't think anyone here is suggesting someone skip the basics, just that there is not much ROI in doing the Net+ if you plan on a serious career in networking.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    100% percent agreed. The ROI isn't comparable to a CCNA but it's worth a read-through at least. Maybe getting the cert persay isn't neccessary, but the foundational knowledge it provides is worth the time.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My opinion:

Network+ = 50% of CCENT
    CCENT = 50% of CCNA
    Network+ = 25% of CCNA
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did my Net+ in 2011 and at the time I had very little understanding of networks. I didn't know the difference between a switch and router and the concept of a MLS was a new one to me.I think if I could go back in time now armed with the knowledge of what the Net+ and CCENT/CCNA entails I would happily do the Network + study again because in my opinion it helped me prepare myself for the CCENT at least in fundamentals. Had I skipped Network+ and gone straight to CCENT I think I would have struggled and potentially given up with Cisco citing it as being over my head for now.
    I think if you have no or very little networking experience and are not 100% sure of where you want to go..i.e cisco or Microsoft or something else then Network+ is very helpful as it gives you a reasonable understanding of stuff without going deep. If on the other hand you have quite a lot of experience already and have worked in either 1st or 2nd Line support for a while and you know what you want to do then CCENT/CCNA is a very good option.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    FastEthernetFastEthernet Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There's a big difference between N+ and CCNA.

Start with N+ if you have little or no experience with networks.