1) Entry level with no experience.
2) With 2 years experience.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    sizeon wrote: »
    1) Entry level with no experience.
    2) With 2 years experience.
    Is the 2 years experience related to networking specifically or just in general
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    2 years as network admin.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    50-60K with two years solid experience. Wife is from NYC and we have considered relocating there. Best city in the world IMO.
  • Options
    southsidesouthside Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Normally people do helpdesk or desktop support or some kind of a support role for a couple of years before they get a pure networking role.

So I am guessing you will overall have like 3 to 5 years of general IT experience and 2 of them will be like networking
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just keep in mind that the cost if living is very high here as well.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just keep in mind that the cost if living is very high here as well.

And in relation to cost of living, salaries are higher.
  • Options
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    And in relation to cost of living, salaries are higher.

True. But i think many times people just look at the salaries here and say im going to move to NY to make 50k. But when you do the math. You are likely better off making 35k where you are instead of 50 or 60 in NYC. Just want the OP to take all of that into consideration before making a decision.
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
  • Options
    sizeon wrote: »
    I live in NY

NYC or upstate?

for whats its worth, looking on salary.com at the salary for network engineer in NYC
    Salary.com Salary Wizard- Do you know what you're worth?

it says bet 44k and 75k. Really it will come down to your experience. just having a CCNA doesn't mean you will get paid well. Also keep in mind many folks will also base your salary on your previous salary.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    1) I would not hire you for a Network Engineer role most likely with no XP, maybe a junior or a desk side position.
    2) With 2 years of experience of a pure network position I think 50k to 75k sounds good or 25/hr to 35/hr
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    an entry level network admin[0-2 yrs of netadmin exp](with other IT experience, ie helpdesk, desktop, sysadmin) in NYC would get you $65k+ easy, unless you're going to work for some cheap ass company, then they'll pay you pennies...

now if you're talkin about network tech/analyst or a NOC tech(which would be entry level IT), then i can see the 40-50 range
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    an entry level network admin[0-2 yrs of netadmin exp](with other IT experience, ie helpdesk, desktop, sysadmin) in NYC would get you $65k+ easy, unless you're going to work for some cheap ass company, then they'll pay you pennies...

now if you're talkin about network tech/analyst or a NOC tech(which would be entry level IT), then i can see the 40-50 range

Hoping to be doing this after I get my CCNA. I'll have roughly 2.5 years of jack of all trades exp that includes some networking, but nothing in a network-specific role.

What jobs should I be searching for? Jr. Network Admin? Jr. Network Engineer?
  • Options
    Hoping to be doing this after I get my CCNA. I'll have roughly 2.5 years of jack of all trades exp that includes some networking, but nothing in a network-specific role.

What jobs should I be searching for? Jr. Network Admin? Jr. Network Engineer?

i would say, just look for jr network admin or network admin....dont worry about the network engineer...that way too senior for you right now.
    Link Me
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    i would say, just look for jr network admin or network admin....dont worry about the network engineer...that way too senior for you right now.
    yea I'm not thinking about network engineer positions, but what are the differences between network engineer and network admin?

Would people really hire a Network admin with 0 network specific experience?
  • Options
    yea I'm not thinking about network engineer positions, but what are the differences between network engineer and network admin?

Would people really hire a Network admin with 0 network specific experience?

from what i've seen, network engineers design, create & maintain large enterpise level networks. its a totally different skill set than that of someone in a SMB or medium size company. just for shits & giggles, look at the difference in the job descripts for a Network Admin vs a Network Engineer. and i dont mean that the NE positions will probably ask for 7+ years of networking experience.

And if you have your CCNA, and can thoroughly demonstrate that you understand and can support a network, then i dont see why someone might not take a chance on a person with no network specific experience. If your current position is a JOT-type and part of your duties includes dealing with switches, routers, and IOS/JUNOS then you should be ok...
    Link Me
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network admins are normally a Mid-level position. 2-5yrs. A companies infrastructure isn't something for a rookie. network engineer and network admin are essentially the same thing "Network Engineer" is the new hot title. Maybe network engineer are more specialized to just switches/router where network admin may work with switch/router but also AD, Exchange etc.. IMO they are both the same
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

I put in what I think a CCNA would get paid in my town and then added
    - NYC (Manhattan): $91k
    - NYC (Brooklyn): $76k
    - NYC (Queens): $64k

Not sure how reliable this cost of living calc is but I put in 40K for Boise, ID which is what a CCNA would be getting here.