Online Certs/Accelerated Programs - Looking for quality online schools

MendMend Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a newb when it comes to online schooling. WGU is great but I'm not looking for a BA, nor can I afford it.

I currently work in IT as a Desktop Tech and I'm finally getting around to starting my certs.

There are a lot of community colleges that offer their own certs, but thats sort of a last resort due to lack of time, industry recognition and their awful requisite programs.

Are their reputable interactive online schools out there? e.g Streaming audio/video of actual professors, Webinars, etc?

Immediate goal: A+

Long Term Study/Schooling: MSCE Win7/8, Net+, CCENT/CCNA, Security+

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you looked at any local community/tech colleges? Usually they will have a class that is meant to help you pass the A+.
  • MendMend Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wont need schooling for A+, mainly networking where just reading a book is very difficult.
    Is there a Cisco Academy in your area? That would be great choice if it's available.
    You may have to consider CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal then. Also, Udemy has quite a few different IT related training options. I'm currently using Chris Bryant's Udemy CCNA class: CCNA 2013 On-The-Go Video Boot Camp With Chris Bryant by Chris Bryant
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WGU is easily your best bet. Many of the certs and technologies you are working for are part of it. If you focus hard enough, it's cheaper than community college and even cheaper than self-studying, for some of the harder certs. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to afford it with student loans. Two terms at WGU are cheaper than taking three classes per semester for three semesters at a community college.

If your goal is truly just training, I don't understand why you're looking at professors and schools. Most reputable schools don't offer training on this type of thing, and you certainly won't find any "professors" teaching MCSE curriculum because you can't get a doctorate in Microsoft Windows. WGU is the only regionally accredited school of which I'm aware that actually includes certifications as part of the curriculum. Even AS and AAS programs at CCs generally don't teach straight out of the certification's curriculum. There are plenty of certification-specific instructor-led training programs out there. Again, they're generally not cheap, and in fact the ones I've seen would easily top the price of a years at WGU just to train for an MCSE. I'm going to training for one of the Microsoft exams on SCCM 2012, and the cost is around $1800. The cheapest available was $1400. You'll find the training for any individual MS exam to be around there, generally, and that means somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 if you want instructor-led full MCSE training.

If online videos are okay for you, rather than an actual instructor-led online course, then there are options there. Otherwise, I think you're going to be disappointed in the search for an affordable, online instructor-led class relating to an IT certification.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    ^Thanks, I'll look into this.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some ideas for a list of online schools is degreeinfo.com and geteducated.com
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    university of Portsmouth? (British one)
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since you already work in IT you may want to see if this is still available:

WGU Launches New Scholarship for IT Professionals | Western Governors University
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fort Hays State University (in Kansas, regionally accredited) offers the CCNA and CCNP as part of their bachelors degree program:

Information Networking & Telecommunications (Computer Networking) - Fort Hays State University
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller