2012 version of MCITP: Virtualization Administrator

I do not see any specific virtulization cert for 2012. I see the private cloud but nothing like MCITP: Virtualization Administrator. Was just curious if this ends with 2012 or what?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah the Private Cloud cert comes close, looks like they've split up VA and put the bits here and there. I'd like to have seen something like the VA in the new cert track too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    412 covers some virtualization stuff and so does 413. Exam 414 covers a whole bunch more. Those are the core of MCSE Server Infrastructure. Private cloud is pretty much all System Center, but that it includes a lot of virtualization-related components. The idea, I think, is that virtualization is core to any Microsoft enterprise server solution, not a separate focus that would get it's own role.

Why has MS gone this route instead of having a virtualization specialty? There are a few arguments, but as I think about it, the biggest thing is it gets virtualization ingrained into any MS platform profession who seeks one of the server MCSEs. That means these people push the MS solution. Making virtualization it's own cert path and in turn its own role in the MS world means that prospective virtualization professionals think "well, I can go VMware or go MS." Making it core to general server infrastructure removes that choice.

That's just conjecture, anyway. Bottom line is that virtualization is fairly well covered between those two MCSEs.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Didn't they do the same thing with security when they went to 2008? Basically said security is part of everything so there is no longer a need for a server security specialization.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes. Even before, it was only a specialization. I wouldn't say MS is necessarily wrong on either front. For the Server 2008 MCST exams, there is a lot of security-related material in the training, and at least a little on the exams themselves.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340