Options

IT Schools

NEANEA Inactive Imported Users Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking into finding an IT school in preperation for my A+ and Network+ certifications. I found a seven day bootcamp that covers both but I am a little skeptical about it.

Has anyone ever gone to one of these? Do they actually work? That is a lot of material to cover in one week.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have never been to a boot camp but I do not hold them in high regard. I have talked to a few people who got their MCSE through boot camps and their knowledge was extremely lacking. The camps are extremely expensive as well.

If your company is paying for it and you already have the experience, it might be a good refresher but I would not do it otherwise. Most will do testing on site and let you come back if you fail the tests. I hear the accomodations are not too bad either.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    NEA wrote:
    I am looking into finding an IT school in preperation for my A+ and Network+ certifications. I found a seven day bootcamp that covers both but I am a little skeptical about it.

Has anyone ever gone to one of these? Do they actually work? That is a lot of material to cover in one week.

Thanks!
    I have never been to a boot camp & consider them ABSOLUTE waste of time & money for A+, N+ & any MCSE/MCSA course. Cisco might not be a bad option if you need gear to use for some CCNP/CCIE courses that you don't have. CCNA would be a waste also.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Boot camps are paper mills, instead of paper diplomas you get paper certs. You wont know the material, they will just give you a race over of some of the material and have you master a test simulator, which will be strikingly the same as the actual exam.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    If you going to attend a private training instatution. Make sure every student works on their own eqiptment. NO EXCEPTIONS. I attend a school when i first got into cisco certs. You had to share equiptment. i thought it was no big deal because they were open from 8am-10pm and they said you can go in and study on it. To bad they had classes schedualed from 8am to 10pm every freaking day and I was never able to go in and study.

Then I found out my local community college had A+, Net+, CCNA, CCNP, PIX, CCSP all for $50 per credit hour. And it counted torwards an associates in Internetworking technologies. So a CCNP class cost $250 and they had great equiptment. Much better than the thousands you will pay at a bootcamp.

Also if you need a loan NEVER get one for a boot camp. Sallie Mea will give you a loan at 17% interest rate because they classify technology classes as a cateering loan. I got my college loans for the community college and they are at 3%.

Save your money and invest wisely.
  • Options
    jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    NEA wrote:
    I am looking into finding an IT school in preperation for my A+ and Network+ certifications.

If you're looking at schools in central florida, DON'T GO to ITT Tech and New Horizons. I know a few guys that went there & didn't like them. This pass summer, I took a course on Windows Server 2003 at Winter Park tech. It cost me less than $250 and I get to use MS Online IT Academy for 1 year. I think it's about $500.00 per semester. Check it out: http://www.wpt.ocps.net/programs/it.htm

I'm thinking about going again next summer (6-8 weeks, 2x a week).
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda