Options

Free resources for MCSA 2008 R2?

PsychoCiscoPsychoCisco Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have found following two YouTube videos on MCSA while searching this forums. But can't find anything on 70 - 646. Also I would like to know if those videos are enough to pass the exams without any books?

MCITP 70-640: Introduction To Active Directory - YouTube

Introduction to the Internet Protocol - YouTube

If anyone know of any free books or online resources please let me know. I have already spent money on CCNA so until I find a job I can't really buy any books at the moment

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First no those 2 videos are not enough.

Technet.microsoft.com is probably your best free resource.
    Look at the test objectives and then go to technet and read through it and the step-by-step labs.

IT Free Training | Where free means free has a lot of videos on youtube for free. Again these are not enough to just watch them and think you can pass.
    Also I would Pick 1 test to study for first either 70-640 or 70-642 before worrying about 646.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You can study for free by using the stickies above which reference Technet articles. You will also need a computer that is capable of running VirtualBox, VirtualPC or something of the likes preferred. This will allow you to lab setting up W2k8R2 and get hands on experience. Just make sure you take good notes you can review and lab, lab, lab!
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There's a great set of resources right here in our very own Windows Server 2008 forums on TechExams.net:

70-640 Resources
    70-642 Resources

They should start you off on the path to the MCSA: Windows Server 2008.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I wish it only took 20mins of youtube videos to prep from certifications lol. Actually not really because if it only took 20 mins of prep it wouldn't be worth it to pay for the exam.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    cruwl wrote: »
    First no those 2 videos are not enough.

Technet.microsoft.com is probably your best free resource.
    Look at the test objectives and then go to technet and read through it and the step-by-step labs.

IT Free Training | Where free means free has a lot of videos on youtube for free. Again these are not enough to just watch them and think you can pass.
    Also I would Pick 1 test to study for first either 70-640 or 70-642 before worrying about 646.

Thanks, links I have provided are the same videos you're referring to. Two courses by itfreetraining on YouTube. But thanks for the suggestion on Technet.
  • Options
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    I wish it only took 20mins of youtube videos to prep from certifications lol. Actually not really because if it only took 20 mins of prep it wouldn't be worth it to pay for the exam.

What made you think they're only 20 minutes videos? Never assume anything unless you know what you're talking about.

Second link I have provided itself 11 hours of lectures.

First link has more than that. I know MCSA would not be as difficult as Rocket Science that's why I asked if videos are enough as people pass CCNA just with CBT Nuggets.

If you'd clicked the links you'd know.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone else for your help.
  • Options
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    You can study for free by using the stickies above which reference Technet articles. You will also need a computer that is capable of running VirtualBox, VirtualPC or something of the likes preferred. This will allow you to lab setting up W2k8R2 and get hands on experience. Just make sure you take good notes you can review and lab, lab, lab!

I have installed W2k8R2 , Win 7 and Win XP on Virtualbox on Ubuntu . So I think I'm on the right track. and I have separate network connection for each VM instead of using NAT. Might install another Guest OS if necessary but I need to upgrade RAM if I need more than these three OSs
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You really won't need to have client vm's running for the exams. But you will need anywhere from two to seven w2k8r2 running at the same time in order to properly lab. You can get buy with 4gig of ram (I did but it was painful) but really 8gig is ideal.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    I have installed three Servers at the moment had trouble configuring network connectionw with usb to ethernet but they're all fixed now. I know it's okay at the moment because I've only got three servers but I better upgrade to 8 gig, thanks dude