Options

Got a (verbal) job offer today! (Information Security)

2»

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't give up. You are doing what many only wish they had the opportunity to do. If it makes you feel any better, I have a two year-old and an eight month old, so I know how you feel. It's exhausting. Take it a day at a time.

Check out EH-Net: The Ethical Hacker Network
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would really frustrate me too. I think thats bad management style if that is what they are trying to do. I work way better with praise than putting down. Especially in the 1st few weeks. I would stick it longer but if they keep being like that and putting you down, leave.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Keep your head up bordergamelad, as others have stated this is a job that many others would die to have so you have no option but to succeed icon_cheers.gif

Regarding your programming comment...is that the biggest hurdle that you see? Do you have any experience with linux? Have you worked with Backtrack/Metasploit previously?
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After today's events I am not so sure about this anymore.

I have been working on the same documentation since last week; it's finally coming together and I should be off that project soon enough. In the mean time I've been going through some penetration testing study on my own time, trying to familiarize myself with the OWASP Top 10, common tools and methodology, etc. etc. and I'm feeling pretty good about my progress considering how little time I've had at work and at home to study/lab. Today I sit down for a meeting with the pentesting lead to discuss my progress/show him what I've learned and he tells me that he's disappointed I haven't picked things up faster and that he's hesitant to send me out on a pentest I was chosen to do a few weeks from now. He cited the fact that the other two people in my group both picked it up faster than me, disregarding the fact that I'm not nor have I ever been a programmer (they both are/were). Most of the stuff I'm seeing I'm literally seeing/hearing about for the first time in my life.

I feel pretty disconnected as a result of this whole thing. I know I have the drive and motivation to succeed with this company but I find the level of support from those around/above me to be lacking. I don't want or expect someone to hold my hand and say here this is how everything is done but I feel like I've been dumped in an ocean and nobody will point me towards land. The owner actually told me that if I feel like I don't know enough about web application testing to go out and buy a stack of web application testing books and lock myself in a room for 4 weeks learning it inside and out. Which is, you know, totally realistic for someone with a newborn at home. At the rate I'm going I think I'd need a good year before I'd be really up to speed on the most common vulnerabilities/systems. But what really hurt was being told that I was a disappointment after a handful of informal training sessions. Talk about a confidence booster.

Is there any updates?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He hasn't even logged in since 2014