Pitfalls of the ICND2 exam?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
Before I begin studying for the ICND2, I thought it would be a good idea to ask if anybody has any sage advice regarding the exam. Is there any unexpected traps? Is everything spelled out clearly in the syllabus? What are the toughest areas. For example, for ICND1 subnetting stands out.

Thanks

Comments

• BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    logical deduction is key on he test. on the icnd2 you can't really use logical deduction without having deep knowledge of the concepts. with that said make sure you can subnet quickly in your head. and make sure you are constantly labbing knowing your syntax like the back of your hand the advantage will be In your favor.
    every exam is going to have "trick" questions. read and reread every question.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Subnetting will play a big role again. Mainly, I'd say you want to make sure you can do it as quickly as possible.. that way you're not wasting precious time and can focus on other things. That's just my 2 cents because when I passed ICND2 I barely finished with enough time.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't have subnetting mastered, don't bother showing up for the exam. It's one of those topics that'll be asked indirectly and directly. If you don't have it mastered and know how to go about it and develop subnetting mentally to the point where you've drawn your own shortcuts... You'll be in trouble.

Troubleshooting will be important. How do you learn troubleshooting? Labbing. Know command output that you'll be able to point out something 'odd'. Ie: Figure out why A to B doesn't work.
    - How would you go about troubleshooting it?
    - What commands?
    - What should you expect to see with those commands when it's working correctly?

Switching got me pretty hard the first time.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    There are no trick questions - if you know your subjects then you'll pass.

When I took my ICND 2 I remember being surprised at how rubbish I was at understanding STP and RSTP. I thought I had it, but it started asking things about what would this port do in this situation and I got flustered.

I don't remember being asked any direct subnetting questions, but it certainly plays a big part in an indirect way. As you've nailed ICND 1 already, you should already have a handle on that though.

I agree with what Roguetadhg said though - lab lab lab. Know your show command, know what you should expect to see and learn causes the unexpected to happen. Simulate your own faults in your labs - if I pull this cable, what happens? If I change this line of config, what happens? How does that affect the show commands?

Keep your head down, study the details, understand the concepts behind "why" that happens, and you'll nail it.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Subnetting quickly - Preferably in your head. The devil is in the details - Do not gloss over anything. As always, do well on your sim questions and you'll have a good shot. Good luck!
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One thing to keep in mind is that you only have 75 minutes for ICND2 as compared to ICND1, yet the amount of questions remains the same, so the clock is not your friend.

If you have access to lab equipment, do a lot of "what if" scenarios such as, "If I change the VLAN # on this port, what happens to the network?", etc.
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.