Options

Request timed out

sonagccnasonagccna Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I formatted and reinstalled windows 2000 professionalin a system which has compex RL100ATX Fast Ethernet card;

After installation, I updated to service pack 4 and with updates;

The Lan Connection is available,
I could ping to 127.0.0.1 - loopback succeeded
I could ping to its ip i assigned from the same system(ip address used is class C, and appropriate subnet mask)

But I couldnt ping(or browse other computers in the network, and we dont use domain but member of a workgroup) to other computers connected in the LAN .When I tried this I am getting Request timed out message,

I changed ip address, changed the cable, even changed location of the computer;

I tried this also, I changed the ethernet card with other other system's, still not working; the same card works in other system.

I updated the network adapter's driver too,

but no change, still getting

Request timed out message.

suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance.

Note: I posted here again, as I hope folks who work with this forum may notice and help me out

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It's probably something simple. At least it generally is with me.
    I could ping to its ip i assigned

Could you do this from the other peers to the problem station?

I would be sure that I had it in the correct workgroup.

Outside of IP matching the correct subnet mask, I can't think of anything else.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    are you pinging IP addresses or computer names?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    I could ping to its ip i assigned only from the same system

I am pinging ipaddresses
  • Options
    DragonCodingDragonCoding Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How do you have the computers interconnected?
    Have you checked the switch or hub they are attached to?
    As an alternative, if you have a crossover cable available, connect 2 of the machines directly, and then try to ping the IP address.

DragonCoding
  • Options
    about 10 computers are connected to a switch, and another 10 computers are connecte to ano' switch, these switches are interconnected, and in the same LAN a dsl router for internet is also present.

I checked the switch, even chaned the cable to another port, changed to another switch etc

I tried connecting two PCs with cross cables, not pinging.

Note: but i found conflict in IRQ(one assigned ti network adapter card), and another friend told that IRQ conflict will not allow the computer to get connected to LAN

And another clue was, the service related to network might not yet started!

I am new to system administration, so try locating the cause, still... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    whats the IP scheme? What masks are you using? Do other PC's have any issues? If they are working ok whats different about this one?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    some of the systems have windows 2000 professional, and some are running Windows XP

the network connectivity is not enabled properly though lan connectivity icon is visible, it even detects the cable plugged or unplugged events;

however its not allowing either browsing/accesing resources on the LAN and not allows to ping to other computers!

And other computers are not even visible in the windows explorer, and displays only the same system in the same workgroup; pls note that all systems are assigned the same workgroup.
  • Options
    whats the IP scheme? What masks are you using? Do other PC's have any issues? If they are working ok whats different about this one?

What about this?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    ALso do the WinXP have the windows firewall enabled? That can block ICMP echos.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    johnnynodough wrote:

What about this?

I edited in the first post of this topic itself; Class C, 255.255.255.0, no other systems have issues.

something different should be there which is blocking (network) connectivity.

OS=windows 2000 professional service pack 4 with update, not windows XP

Why I dont get any comments from you all about IRQ Conflict which may be the cause!
  • Options
    ^

Because WIn2k is a plug and play OS and I have never ever seen a IRQ/DMA/MEM address conflict on WIn2k/XP.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    the fast ethernet adapter's IRQ conflicts with multimedia audio controller's
    IRQ.

BIOS setup does not have IRQ editing feature for multimedia audio controller.

may be is it possible to edit IRQ from registry?

Suggestions are welcome
  • Options
    Try deleting the audio controller from device manager and rebooting. Im suprprised that it has a conflict, especially since you can ping the loopback.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    if i delete audio control manager, from device manager,

plus disabled Plug and Play aware OS in BIOS setup,

when windows restarted, it detects the hardware(which is onboard for your info), tries adding it; though i cancel it,it still includes in the conflict.

and i hope loopback test indicates proper installation of TCP/IP.
  • Options
    no IRQ conflicts now
    but still no connectivity to LAN! icon_sad.gif

Any other suggestions??
  • Options
    now there is no IRQ conflicts and i formatted and reinstalled with windows xp service pack1, all configuarations,cables, ethernet point checked.

but still no connectivity to LAN.

suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.
  • Options
    plasmaheadplasmahead Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also have the same problem as sonagccna.

I can only ping the loopback and the IP interface of the Ethernet device on my computer, I am unable to ping any other host on the network.

When I view network computers from another XP machine on the network I can "see" the computer listed, so it seems that the NetBIOS protocol is working even if IP is not. This does not happen though when viewing network computers from the problem computer, so it only seems to work in one direction.

I know that there are no hardware problems as it all works when I use win98 but not when I am running XP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You said you put the NIC from the computer not working into another computer & it worked? Have you tried putting a NIC into the problem machine into a different PCI slot? How about re-installing the TCP/IP stack from a Reg-edit? I honestly think your problem lies in the TCP/IP. Your getting a bad install or some files are missing.

For XP check the firewall & security settings. I know if some of these settings are enabled you cannot be pinged or seen on the network or do an administrative mapping either. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    jd_mattosjd_mattos Member Posts: 134
    Have you tried to ping anything?
    If you can ping the local IP then the NIC works. Try and ping 127.0.0.1 (loopback address) and that will tell if TCP/IP stack is good.
    If both of those work, then try and picg another device on the network.
    Let us know if that helps.
  • Options
    Have you tried putting a NIC into the problem machine into a different PCI slot?
    I tried this; it also failed.
    How about re-installing the TCP/IP stack from a Reg-edit?
    did this also. no effect; same cd only i was/am using to intall many computers.no other systems did not cause any probs.
    For XP check the firewall & security settings.

In Windows XP, is there any default firewal applied that may block the traffic?
    I hope it wont.

Anyways, for this system, windows 2000 professional is insisted for installation.because putting the winXP makes the system very slow.this system is 4years old.
    Have you tried to ping anything?
    pinged, getting Request Timed Out
    try and picg another device on the network
    this is what not working. no pings are successful to other devices on the network plus no other devices are not visible on my network places.and its not possible to connect to other computers on the same LAN by name or IP address.
  • Options
    cestricklincestricklin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    something is really wierd here, if you have successfully tried all things mentioned, then the only other thing I can think of is this:
    In a mixed environment with w2k-xp, the newest OS will become master browser in a peer net....I had the similar problem here and I had to shut ever computer down after I went into services and put browsing on manual instead of default start, and viola! all systems were on the net and I could ping all names and ip's...another thing, if you xp's are home, you can have only 5 on a lan without having major problems, thats a drawback....thats what it sounds like with this machine.
    "HE WHO BELIEVES, IS HE WHO SUCCEDES"
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    Does your router have DHCP installed if so change your settings to "Assign IP addresses automaticaly" it could be that some routers have DHCP installed and could clash with static IP configuration?
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"