too much fan noise cisco 2950 switches

alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys what's the deal with the fan noise coming off of the Cisco 2950 switches I've been around HP and Dell switches and I've never heard anything this loud how did you all deal with the noise I don't have a basement to put this stuff in? Also I was out on the web some ccna students unplugged the fans in there 2950 switches I have all my gear in a rack so I don't know if unplugging the fans and putting it in a rack is healthy for the switch there has to be a way to kill this fan noise one thing I thought about was putting a large heat sink on the chip that is producing the heat anyway guys let me know what you think.

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    The 2950s I had were stupidly loud.. No idea why... To have it in my bedroom was a nightmare.

I can have multiple 3750s at work and they are MUCH quieter than the 2950s, like you can only hear them properly when you turn them on.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Exactly we also have 3750's and I don't hear this type of noise coming off of them and yes my office is a converted bedroom so this is not going to work. I have modded several loud desktop systems but it's easier to work on a desktop because you have a lot more room in the case. If I had room inside the switch I would mount a 120mm and be done. So I'm hoping I get some ideas from everyone here
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a tough time with noise as well. I ended up building a sound enclosure for my equipment.
  • union122union122 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you guys have a dedicated power circuit for your lab rack?
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Back when I had my CCNA lab with 2950s/2500s/2600s, I replaced or unplugged most of the fans, making the lab much much quieter...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    2500's are really loud, and droned on and on...
  • alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ended up unplugging the fans and putting large heat sinks on the chip