Planning on replacing residential router with 2691

elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
Hey, guys. This might not be in the right section, so if it's not please move it. :)

I was trying to get some assistance from an irc community I'm part of, but I'll just put the logs here.

codey: I have an issue: my netgear residential router has no opensource firmware available for it and no settings for just making it a dumb AP. I want to connect my 2691 to my ISP and have
the router on the network just for wireless access without having to buy a wireless slot. I would just connect the two routers with a ptp link, but I only have 2 fa ports. I have two
3550's not being used right now. Could I

codey: use vlans to achieve what I'm looking after?

codey: s/2691/2651

codey: I have an issue: my netgear residential router has no opensource firmware available for it and no settings for just making it a dumb AP. I want to connect my 2651 to my ISP and
have the router on the network just for wireless access without having to buy a wireless slot. I would just connect the two routers with a ptp link, but I only have 2 fa ports. I have two
3550's not being used right now. Could I

codey: It has a wireless repeating function with two modes, but I'm unsure if it would let it JUST act as an AP : http://i.imgur.com/6d5Q6kg.png

codey: could I just disable it's dhcp functions and have it work?

I'd disable it's firewall/port controlling features and everything that I can except for it's wireless features Would that work out just fine or should I really try to mess with VLANs?
I'd really appreciate some help. ^.^