Dell goes private, with help from Uncle Bill's old stomping grounds

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I heard about this earlier

What does it specifically mean for it's business though? I know they wanted to end their PC era (or was that HP?)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting read

Thanks for sharing.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I heard about this earlier

What does it specifically mean for it's business though? I know they wanted to end their PC era (or was that HP?)

It means they can take more risks quarter over quarter without worrying that the board will ouster someone because their stock price fluctuates. When you are a public company you only have one purpose in life - paying your shareholders. In a public company that can be one, several, or many people who can make up a 51% voting block. Why do you think HP walked back selling their PC division so quickly? They ought to spin that thing off, it is a mega-albatross around their neck.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it's a good thing. I noticed during the quarterly reports for Google, Apple and Amazon it always seemed like they had to be really careful how they word things.

Dell has been buying up companies in a move to a service oriented company, I swear I read somewhere that either the CEO or somebody high up said they don't consider themselves a PC company anymore.
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I can tell you two things your not going to hear much more about this tell early summer and Dell is on a massive hiring spree for enterprise services if you live around Austin, TX or Oklahoma City, OK are if your willing to relocate you have a good shot at landing an IT job.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think it's a good thing. I noticed during the quarterly reports for Google, Apple and Amazon it always seemed like they had to be really careful how they word things.

Dell has been buying up companies in a move to a service oriented company, I swear I read somewhere that either the CEO or somebody high up said they don't consider themselves a PC company anymore.

This is basically right on. They want to sell you everything from the hardware to the service and implementation. They have enterprise (ish) SAN, ethernet, security (hardware and software), and servers. All they need to do now is buy Shoretel and they will have it all.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I know this ticked off HP, and according to an article on computerworld, they are going after current Dell customers.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I know this ticked off HP, and according to an article on computerworld, they are going after current Dell customers.

HP has been doing that for the past year. I've had one Dell reseller call me in the last 6 months and over 20 from HP i kid you not.

Dell sells pretty much everything under the sun and all the supporting services to go with them. getting anything other than servers or desktops from HP has been a nightmare in my case the last 2 years.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GA

HP was a nightmare for server in my experience. We actually ended up hiring a 3rd party vendor to be the inbetween man. The web interface was sluggish and down 1/4 of the time. The phones, forget about it.
  • Imran_HaiderImran_Haider Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interesting news..

What they are going to do now?
    RomBUS

if this is true then what they will do????