Windows 7 or 8

Want to get some Microsoft certifications but limited on funds. So i am not sure what to go to so im asking what you all think i should get certified in. MSCA windows 7 or MSCA Windows 8. Can only choose one.

I see windows 7 everywhere, I thought windows 8 will be more consumer based, and i want to eventually be able to be an network admin. trying to work my way up. So now looking for any type of IT job. So which one would you all suggest
«1

Comments

  • programmer24programmer24 Posts: 122Banned
    if you want to work in a office like learning or installing and configuring computers windows 7
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Posts: 311Member
    Win7u would be more useful, since more than likely Win8 is gonna just get skipped over by large companies
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    Win8 is gonna just get skipped over by large companies

    Based on what?
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Personally I would go for the latest and greatest.

    Mark one down for Windows 8. This reminds me of the XP and Windows 7 conversations a few years ago.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAPosts: 5,735Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would go for Windows 7. It's still unknown how the enterprise will accept Windows 8. At this point my company has no interest/desire to move to Window 8. In fact, we are still transitioning to Windows 7. My concern is that Win8 ends up like Windows Vista. You can be assured that you will use your Win7 training, but Windows 8 is still up in the air.
    Currently working on: Linux and Python
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Posts: 2,989Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    I heard on a podcast that Windows 8 helped Windows 7 adoption in companies, I am sure it was a joke or maybe companies held out way too long to XP had to choice but to move to 7 finally.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    N2IT wrote: »
    Personally I would go for the latest and greatest.

    Mark one down for Windows 8. This reminds me of the XP and Windows 7 conversations a few years ago.

    I agree. People are always reluctant to change, but it will happen. People are especially hesitant with Win8 because its cloud based. But I assure you...that's the direction we are heading. I work for one of the largest organizations in the world (Dept of Defense), and I can already confirm that testing for prospects to move to Win8 are in the works.
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    I would go for Windows 7. It's still unknown how the enterprise will accept Windows 8. At this point my company has no interest/desire to move to Window 8. In fact, we are still transitioning to Windows 7. My concern is that Win8 ends up like Windows Vista. You can be assured that you will use your Win7 training, but Windows 8 is still up in the air.

    You may call Vista a flop (and it was to a large extent)... But even so...as a manager of an IT department that is running Win7...I'd be more inclined to hire someone with a Windows Vista certification, than a Windows XP certification. Even if Win8 does get skipped over...it will still most likely be closer to the style and build of the next operating system than Windows 7 will be.
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Posts: 311Member
    Based on what?
    Based on the fact that most companies in the middle of OS updates are just now going from XP to 7 since they skipped VISTA. In other words, historical trends. :)

    Also while the DoD (hardly what I'd call a Technology Leader) might be a pioneer for hopping on the Win8 band wagon, realistically I doubt it will end well.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAPosts: 5,735Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    @The_Hunch: Fair enough. I don't completely agree, but I understand your point of view. I'm not sure that it's prudent (financially) to spend hard earned money on a certification for a technology that may or may not end up being used by the vast majority of companies. I'm just don't want the OP to spend money on a certification that may not help him in the shark infested waters of HR. Other than the annoying start screen, I actually like Windows 8.
    Currently working on: Linux and Python
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    Based on the fact that most companies in the middle of OS updates are just now going from XP to 7 since they skipped VISTA. In other words, historical trends. :)

    Also while the DoD (hardly what I'd call a Technology Leader) might be a pioneer for hopping on the Win8 band wagon, realistically I doubt it will end well.

    How does your perception about the lack of success of Vista have anything to do with Windows 8? Pointing to a single instance of a failed operating system hardly justifies a "historical trend." Seriously...that's about the worst use of inductive logic I've ever seen.

    Is there an actual reason why you think it won't end well... You know, because of something to do with the actual operating system we are talking about...and not the single instance historical trend you keep referencing?
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • -hype-hype Posts: 165Member
    No Traditional Start Menu, No Care.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Posts: 353Member
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I work for one of the largest organizations in the world (Dept of Defense), and I can already confirm that testing for prospects to move to Win8 are in the works.

    I work for DoD as well. Our entire installation just migrated to Windows 7 last month. While I typically agree for the latest and greatest, I personally find Windows 7 certification to be more relevant in the Enterprise right now. While Windows 8 certification may be more "future-proofing", Windows 7 will likely yield a great range of opportunity right now/immediate future. Lots of agencies are still planning migration to Windows 7, coming from both XP and Vista. I know the DoD is testing Windows 8, but testing for Windows 7 was years ago, and we just migrated. Certain groups/tenant organizations will likely be in pilots and such, but in no way is the DoD Enterprise migrating any time soon.
    the_hutch wrote: »
    as a manager of an IT department that is running Win7...I'd be more inclined to hire someone with a Windows Vista certification, than a Windows XP certification.

    Per 8570.01, in addition to the baseline IA certification, technicians with privileged access must obtain appropriate computing environment (CE) certifications for the operating systems they support. If someone with a Windows 8 cert applies for a DoD position in a Windows 7 environment, the Windows 8 certificate technically isn't valid and they would still need Windows 7 (IA manager discretion).
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)


  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Posts: 311Member
    When your deploying thousands of OS, a single instance of large scale failure actually means quite a lot. However lets bring this thread back the point of discussion he wanted to know what Cert to get, and where the most value would be. That would still be 7 [lets remember how long XP lasted in comparision to Vista or Win2000 compared to Win98], that is unless he want to work for the DoD; I hear they are deploying Win8.

    Oh, and since you want Historical Trend here ya go.

    Win 3.0 Greatly ebraced model of efficiency (for back then)
    Win95 Skipped to many changes businesses uncertain about change

    Win98 Most liked it fixed many flaws from 95 included several Security fixes
    Win2000 Skipped again to unstable in an actual work environment

    WinNT (I have only seen these in gov facilities)
    WinXP (We know it we love it.)
    == Both used but Xp more common since more secure, and eventually NT was phased out nd replaced by XP anyway

    Vista Skipped, far to unstable, vendor approved, consumer rejected
    Win7 Most companies are activly moving to this right now. and those same companies have no intention of grabbing 8

    Win8 - So far still being ignored by most
    Time will only tell.

    So as you can from that, and from what I have observed only Xp has been the odd ball and broken the chain of Win-Fail-Win-Fail
    I'm not as big fool though you think I might be.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • crashdumpcrashdump Posts: 134Banned
    go for Win7. Win8 is a big failure, no corparation will migrate to Win8
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    First off, I never called you a fool, nor meant any offense. Lets not make this personal...cause it was never intended to be. I do however, think that you are basing most of your perspective off of personal bias. Even if you can cite 3 instances...there is still not enough of a trend to completely dismiss the value of a Win8 cert at this time. And there never will be. Because the success of an operating system is not based on historical trends...its based on the operating system itself...and not its sequence. And I still question what threshhold you are using to label an operating system as "skipped?"

    But regardless of all this, if we do bring it back to the original question of which cert to get...I'd say it is contingent upon what the OP is trying to achieve. If he is trying to get a foot in the door. Then I don't (and never did) dispute the fact that Win7 would be more valuable right now. However, if he is just knocking out a windows cert because he has money lying around for it...I'd still recommend the Windows 8 certification.

    Even if Win8 is not adopted on mass scale. It will still be closer to the operating system that follows it, than Windows 7. Because of this, the Win8 certification will be more valuable long term. The integration of cloud functions into day-to-day operations is inevitiable. And while the interface may change...much of what makes up the Win8 build will remain in future windows OSs.
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    Also to clarify...I never said the DOD is switching over to Win8. I said testing is being done. As many have pointing out...its too early to really guage the success of the OS at this point.
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • antielvisantielvis Posts: 285Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    The deployment & technical support is quite similiar, so go for 8.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    Per 8570.01, in addition to the baseline IA certification, technicians with privileged access must obtain appropriate computing environment (CE) certifications for the operating systems they support. If someone with a Windows 8 cert applies for a DoD position in a Windows 7 environment, the Windows 8 certificate technically isn't valid and they would still need Windows 7 (IA manager discretion).

    I wasn't claiming that the Win8 cert was the better option for getting a current DOD job. Just pointing to the fact that testing is taking place to support my claim that it is too early to dismiss the possibility that Win 8 will just be skipped over.

    Also, 8570 is going away in 2013. Scheduled to be replaced by DoDD 8140.
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Posts: 353Member
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I'd say it is contingent upon what the OP is trying to achieve. If he is trying to get a foot in the door. Then I don't (and never did) dispute the fact that Win7 would be more valuable right now. However, if he is just knocking out a windows cert because he has money lying around for it...I'd still recommend the Windows 8 certification.
    Want to get some Microsoft certifications but limited on funds. So i am not sure what to go to so im asking what you all think i should get certified in. MSCA windows 7 or MSCA Windows 8. Can only choose one.

    I see windows 7 everywhere, I thought windows 8 will be more consumer based, and i want to eventually be able to be an network admin. trying to work my way up. So now looking for any type of IT job. So which one would you all suggest

    Since the OP is limited on funds, and seems he is looking for any type of IT job, I would assume based off that criteria Windows 7 would be the most ideal in his circumstance.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)


  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Posts: 353Member
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I wasn't claiming that the Win8 cert was the better option for getting a current DOD job. Just pointing to the fact that testing is taking place to support my claim that it is too early to dismiss the possibility that Win 8 will just be skipped over.

    Also, 8570 is going away in 2013. Scheduled to be replaced by DoDD 8140.

    I don't think it will be skipped over by DoD either, considering the $617,000,000 contract. Just that it will take a while. I'm not against Windows 8 certification, just trying to figure out what is best in a certain scenario. I'm going to get Windows 8 certified myself.

    Thanks for the 8140 reference. I'm going to have to check into that!
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)


  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    Honestly, I doubt most employers (who are running win7) would dismiss a potential applicant with a Win8 cert. If anything, I think it shows initiative. And evidence that the candidate may be a good investment for the future.
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAPosts: 4,171Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Irrespective of the debate about Windows 8 being a steaming pile of crap that may or may not be accepted by Enterprise IT, I would think Windows 7 would be the smarter choice if you are getting certified right now. Windows 7 is still going to be the "majority" OS footprint for the next two years, at least. What you learn in the certification will be more applicable to the here and now, and the near to medium term future.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • fly2dwfly2dw Posts: 122Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I certified in both and I would advise to get certified in Windows 8. Windows 8 is just like a feature pack of Windows 7. It is pretty much Windows 7 with more content. If you learn Windows 8 you can do everything in Windows 7, but if you learn 7 you will still need to cover some ground for Windows 8 new functionality, therefore you might as well capture all the functionality for future in one go.

    Even if Windows 8 is bypassed, some of the new functionality may well be in the next Windows release, and you will have a head start (Good to know as much functionality as possible).

    A big difference is the absence of the Start Menu in Windows 8. Therefore make sure you are comfortable navigating with and without a start menu, until it is completely phased out or brought back due to popular demand (Some 3rd party app will no doubt appear for this if it doesn’t come back).

    Personally it makes no odds to me, however there is a lot more Windows 7 than 8 at the moment so you do need to be able to find your way around. You could always go the PowerShell route but that is personal preference and note that the PowerShell versions are different between Windows 7 (PowerShell v2) and Windows 8 (PowerShell v3 which again is just additional functionality).

    Even if somebody goes down the Windows 7 route now, it won't make that much difference as you can just read the new Windows 8 features and try them out. The only other way to explain it is if you are familiar with MAC OS X, it is like going from 10.5 to 10.6 or 10.6 to 10.7 etc. They just provide additional features, not new OS architectures with major changes, so don't fret too much icon_cool.gif

    Hope this helps
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Posts: 4,317Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most corporates I worked for over the last 5 years still run mainly Windows XP ... and we are not talking small companies either...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • MrAgentMrAgent Posts: 1,306Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    Im trying to find a copy of the DoD 8140, anyone have a link for it? Google didnt seem to help.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Posts: 699Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    I say go for Windows 7 as well. Not because I think Windows 8 is a failure (not sure how people can say that when it just came out). I do not think you can say Windows 8 is a failure. We certainly do not know how fast Windows 8 will be adopted (depends if there is a huge push for Windows 8 tablets/ultrabooks...forget about desktops). Windows 8 is most likely a "wait and see" OS because it did have decent sales over it's first few months, just like Windows 7 and then it became more mainstream as time went on. I will be going for Windows 8 exam because I have gotten a free upgrade voucher...other than that I don't think I would've bothered until probably another year
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Posts: 353Member
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Im trying to find a copy of the DoD 8140, anyone have a link for it? Google didnt seem to help.

    I'd be interested as well.. Although I have a feeling it hasn't been published as of yet.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)


  • SlowhandSlowhand MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2003/2012/2016, CCNA Routing & Switchi Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 5,163Mod Mod
    While Windows 8 is indeed the future, there are lots of companies only now migrating off XP to Windows 7. If you want my opinion, go for MCSA Windows 7 now, then do the one-exam upgrade to MCSA Windows 8 a little further down the road when you have some more cash on hand.

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Posts: 827Banned
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Im trying to find a copy of the DoD 8140, anyone have a link for it? Google didnt seem to help.

    I haven't really seen much on it either. I read it on SANS 8570 page. Not a lot of info there either though.
    SANS Institute

    Look under the section titled "Future of 8570"
    Justin Hutchens
    www.linkedin.com/in/justinhutchens
    http://www.youtube.com/drstarskymrhutch - BackTrack / Kali-Linux Tutorials - CHECK EM OUT AND SUBSCRIBE!!! :thumbup:
Sign In or Register to comment.