Passed 70-643

One more to go I'm breaking out the 647 material now. icon_cheers.gifI found the exam not to bad it was the amount of objectives that was rough. It took me about six months to get ready for this test and a newborn baby boy my second child I took about two months off from studying.
Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246

Comments

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Congrats on the pass!
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Just a bit of advice with the 647, remember it's a Why exam, not a How exam. So they wont ask you how to setup DNS for example, but get you to analyse scenarios of DNS deployment and suggest fixes/improvements. It's also about tying the various technologies together. They also try to throw you off the track. For example, a scenario begins with two paragraphs about coffee machines and one small paragraph about apples, but the questions that follow will be about apples only. Hope you get the picture.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Well done on your pass. the 643 is a strange exam.

Good advice on the 647 by Essendon.

I'm going for the 647 next also.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    647 Sounds like the last test for the MCSE 2003. There was so much detail in the case study that you could spend the entire time reading it and not even see the questions. Can you bounce from the questions back to the case study? If so I would suggest reading the questions and then reading the case study from that context.

Are the case studies independently timed and graded or is it one big test? I heard there are multiple choice as well so hopefully that could pad out some of your score if they're not independent.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats.... on the test and kid!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    647 Sounds like the last test for the MCSE 2003. There was so much detail in the case study that you could spend the entire time reading it and not even see the questions. Can you bounce from the questions back to the case study? If so I would suggest reading the questions and then reading the case study from that context.

Are the case studies independently timed and graded or is it one big test? I heard there are multiple choice as well so hopefully that could pad out some of your score if they're not independent.

You can move back and forth among the case studies and their questions. They consider the case studies one section of the 20 or so multiple choice questions as another section. Once you finish the case studies section, you cannot go back. You start the multiple choice questions next and can bounce around as needed there. Once you finish this section, you finish the exam. Both sections are individually timed but the test is graded as a whole and you get one score only.

I took the 647 three times, and twice the multiple choice questions came up before the scenarios. It doesnt make a difference really, but I'd like to see the case studies before the other questions because your fresh when you begin and the scenarios require a fair bit of concentration in weeding out the fluff. All 3 instances of the exam I took were Virtualization heavy, with stacks of App-v/Med-V/Hyper-v stuff thrown in. Good luck and remember it's a Why exam!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congratulations
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Thanks for the tips and I have done 70-646 so I have done the testlets I'm about 1/3 of the way through the MS Press Book but have to putt it on hold due to moving into a new house.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the Pass. 643 was the hardest test for me out of them all. I had a lot of personal problems at the time and it was right when they added R2, it took me a few tries. I took some time off before going for the 647 and passed that the first time around. For me the 647 had scenarios then multiple choice then scenarios again and on almost every scenario they had information presented in such a way that I had solutions formulated in my head and then got to the questions and none of that stuff was even mentioned (a couple questions even asked about how to do something)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.