Options

Certification Advice

eshark89eshark89 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I'm a newb to the field, and I've just found your board a few days ago and have been soaking in the knowledge, so far it seems like a great place. I was hoping to get some advice as to the correct direction I should be going in obtaining certifications.

I'm still in school with about 1.5 years left in my Bachelor's degree, I'm getting a BS in Computer and Information Technology with a concentration in Data Management through Purdue University. I'm currently taking a class (its a mandatory one) that is supposed to leave students prepared for the A+ certification exam afterwards. We're using the Meyers book CompTIA A+ All-in-One Certification Guide. I figure that I'll have that certification before the end of the class because I'm a pretty quick study and have been reading ahead, however I'm looking for which way I should be heading in order to get certifications that are going to get me into the door of working with database. I'd really like to get a head start on these certs while I'm still in school, I'm looking for some type of entry level position that I can work to have experience under my belt by the time I graduate also.

If you all could give me any advice about which way I should be heading that would be great icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    First of all welcome to TE.

Most jobs nowadays require CompTIA certifications just for an entry level position. You might want to consider doing A+, Network+, and Security+. Then you will have to decide which career path you might want to follow. Some people decide Network is their thing, others choose Security (like myself). I've spent quite a bit time on every possible field in IT and I found the one that makes me feel the most accomplished.

After passing the exams I mentioned you will have a better feel of which career path you might want to head towards.

Best of luck
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the A+, Network+, then Security+ path. It gives you a very wide snap shot of the world of IT that you can then make a better decision of what you want to be when you grow up. The Network+ will give you a broad view of Networks and prepare you some for Security+. I absolutely blew through Security+ in 6 weeks and score higher then I did on any other CompTIA exam. I am heading that direction, it's a hot field with tons of opportunity for those that want to learn something new.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Humbe wrote: »
    First of all welcome to TE.

Most jobs nowadays require CompTIA certifications just for an entry level position. You might want to consider doing A+, Network+, and Security+. Then you will have to decide which career path you might want to follow. Some people decide Network is their thing, others choose Security (like myself). I've spent quite a bit time on every possible field in IT and I found the one that makes me feel the most accomplished.

After passing the exams I mentioned you will have a better feel of which career path you might want to head towards.

Best of luck

The holy trinity is a great place to start. Best of luck, its a great world to live in, never a dull moment!