Options

Certification exam - Subnetting?

nb-nb- Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

Been doing alot of CCNA practice exams recently, and everytime i hit these subnet questions like.. Which subnetwork does xxx belong to? or which of the following are not apart of the network bla bla bla..

I can complete them, but it takes some time. What i'm thinking of is whether your allowed to use pen and paper at the certification examn for these questions. My math skills are horrible, and i'm strugling a little with remembering everything while calculating it.

Are you allowed pen and paper at the cert exams? Do they provide you with it or can you bring your own? Do you have to calculate it in your head, or are you allowed a regular calculator?

Comments

• Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    As far as I know they provide you with a laminated sheet and a marker (easy erase).
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here..... laminate sheet and a dry erase marker. :)
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    subnetting is crucial. also the subnetting can be imbedded into a larger question. pratice practice pratice! In time you will start to memorize the math. For example, you will remember that a mask of 255.255.254.0 has 510 hosts.
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Yeah, they have to give you a laminated sheet of paper and pen.

www.subnettingquestions.com - just sit and do them until you get faster. It's just practice.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    Just the same thing with me. I am so weak in Maths. Bit it all has to do with determination. I have chose to battle it this month, maybe next month as I wanna have my CCNA cert next month. And I get to hear sub-netting is not that hard, it just takes lots of practice and you can do it in your head without having to use a paper for calculations when you're glued to it.
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • Options
    Prog SnobProg Snob Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    As far as I know they provide you with a laminated sheet and a marker (easy erase).

yes, but nothing to wipe it with. i had to use my hand. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ha! You write too much then! icon_smile.gif

Just be persistent, you'll get quicker. If the method you are using confuses you, find another. There are several good, reliable methods of subnetting, one is bound to "click" in your mind.

And when you're done with the exam, get an app for your smart phone!!!
  • Options
    CDubbs89CDubbs89 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just curious what app do you use for the phone.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There won't be any really complicated subnetting questions on the ICND1. Cisco just wants to make sure you know how to use their equipment. Nobody expects you to subnet a network at lightning speeds. They'll just ask you things like "What is the network number of this IP address?" or "What is the third range of this network?"
  • Options
    CDubbs89: An android app called IPCalc. Errr, I mean, I do it all in my head or use a pen and paper? I would never use my phone! icon_lol.gif. I use my phone at work sometimes when I'm being lazy. I never use it when I'm studying.

Michael2: It's not complicated once you've mastered it, but I remember finding it pretty daunting when I first learnt subnetting. And while you don't need to do it at lightning speed, the quicker you are the more time you have to spend on other questions where you may need it. There are a lot of questions on both ICND 1 and ICND 2 that indirectly involve subnetting, even if they aren't directly subnetting related. It's an unnecessary pressure on yourself if you go in the exam not too hot with your subnetting, for the sake of an extra weeks study.
  • Options
    danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    I think I'll have to kill subnetting then. I'll try and find some videos on youtube about it.. and work it out
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

This is what made it click for me. I can solve all the problems now, just need to work on my speed/memorization a bit.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I always remembered it a wierd way when I took the CCNA for at least knowing what ranges it came between.
    If a subnet mask I'd subtract it from 256 if a wildcard mask subtract from a broadcast (255.255.255.255).

Ex: Where does 192.168.1.53 fall on 255.255.255.240
    I'd subtract the 240 from 256 and go ok.. 16. So it goes in incriments of 16.
    etc etc etc

what about 255.255.248.0
    Ok well subtract 248 from 256 i get 8
    so it goes in incriments like
    x.x.8.0
    x.x.16.0
    x.x.24.0

or what is the wildcard mask for 172.16.22.16 255.255.240.0
    subtract 255.255.240.0 from 255.255.255.255 and I got 0.0.15.255

:P

Then all you need to learn was remembering what /24,/25,/26 stood for etc.