Options

How is 70-680 Test Administered and other questions

BgroffBgroff Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have an entry level IT help desk position and part of my requirements is that I take and pass the MCTS 70-680 exam. How is this test administered? Is it multiple choice questions only or do you have to perform tasks in some type of lab.This is my first job in IT and I have lots of years of Windows Experience (although I went to Mac three years ago). I have been studying and taking practice exams and failing miserably. What study advice would you have for me as well? I have a copy of Windows Ultimate and I can use Virtual Box on my Mac at home. I also have access to a free copy of Server 2008 R2. I was thinking about setting up a lab of somesort. How would I go about doing that?

Comments

• Options
    LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is typically around 50 multiple choice questions. You take it on a computer. No lab. However, some of the questions are this format: "From the following choices select all that apply." Additionally, some of the questions give you some possible choices and you have to drag and drop them to the correct order.

Of the total 50 questions, I'd say ~80% are standard multiple choice.
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Labbing was essential for all Microsoft exams I've taken, so defiantly get that going.

Make sure you know all the "Skills Being Measured" bullets, inside and out.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I had years of experience in computers, mostly in Microsoft software. Naturally I thought the Windows desktop exam would be easy. I was so wrong! It is a tough nut exam. Every company is different, and every company uses certain Windows configurations and settings while excluding others. The 70-680 can test you on all areas. So you can't rely on experience as being the only factor to passing it -- your areas of experience may not be what is tested.

This website is a great start. Go to the 70-680 "Sticky" folder and study the material linked to there. Getting Poulton's book (click on preceeding link ) on the 70-680 can be helpful, as is Gibson's reference book on command-lines. I've read that some people like the Cram Exam book. If you live in the USA, ask your local (or community college) library if they offer internet access to books. If the answer is "yes", ask if they subscribe to Safari eBooks. These books and a lot of other technical books are free to view there. You can also subscribe yourself at a price, and I recall that Microsoft has a discount you can use to purchase a Safari subscription.

A lab is certainly recommended. A good lab environment for the 70-680 will require a server VM and one (or more) desktop VMs. You can download limited-use evaluation copies of these OSs from Microsoft at no cost. There are some "gotcha" requirements when using Server 2008 R2, but your fallback can be Server 2008 if you find your PC one of those gotcha's.

Some people do well from watching videos and taking practise exams. Browse through this forum and you'll find personal recommendations. (ITMonkey is not a shill.) There are two free video sites I that I know of. Professor Messer's and ITFreeTraining.

That's it in a nutshell. Good luck.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All I can say is Lab, Lab, and more Lab. This exam left a really bad taste in my mouth from Microsoft. In fact I haven't even cracked open my MCITP book in over a year and a half. I am currently looking at Cisco or InfoSec after I finish up school. Don't even get me started on Windows 8.....
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    JayBliskJayBlisk Member Posts: 182
    ITMonkey is one hundred% right! I have everything he is talking about. I even built a server to do realtime migrations and server/windows installs. I have the VMWare bundle setup up on the server as well as client vm's setup with XP, Vista and 7. This forum has been a life savor. Also you can do virtual labs on Microsoft's website with or without a TechNet subscription. However I would and did get a TechNet subscription. Cheer Mate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]