Options

Resume Help Please

tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for some help with my resume. I don't have any real professional IT experience, only what I've done at home/for friends/family and courses I've taken in college. I'm currently working on the BS:IT from WGU and am motivated to finish in 2 terms (Dec. 2013). I had an interview with a local IT firm; they offered me a part time internship that I couldn't accept because it interfered with my full-time job. I went to a career fair last week and went to an open house interview tonight. I was told I lacked enough experience to qualify for any open positions now, but may qualify for entry levels positions should they open up in the future. I just want to see if anyone has any insight to improve my resume. TIA for your help.

resume help.pdf

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    So we'll go from the top to bottom.

- In the 'Technical Skills' section, I see the word knowledge 4 times, and 'strong working knowledge' twice in a row. Be more creative with your descriptive phrases or the lines will blur together.
    - IMO listing Office Suite's is an understood redundancy because in IT you're expected to be able to use that software to varying degrees of proficiency, unless your an Excel macro guru or something. If you don't have other industry software to list I would remove the line.
    - I'm still on the fence about it but I would probably combine the VMware xp, networking, and troubleshooting into one line, for example:
    Misc - Experienced in home/small office network & configuration, VMware Workstation, and PC and industrial electronics hardware & software troubleshooting
    -
    Drop 'currently pursuing' from WGU, just use 'Anticipated graduation date: December 2013'
    - I know your GPA is high and you're proud of it but GPA's don't really matter...if they want to know, they will ask, so I would remove it.
    - For my degree, I have it presented as (not to scale, but you get the idea)--

EDUCATION

Year started-Year completed

University, City, State

Degree: List degree here

- At your current field service tech job, what programming languages did you use? Or, what in particular did you do to 'employ programming knowledge'
    - What are the industry standard protocols you used to network scales?
    - At the hospital job, you said you designed a database...what does this mean? If it includes SQL skills I would add that to the programming section in the skillset
    - Did you use any industry standard software at the hospital? If so I would mention it
    - Some people will probably disagree but without your non-IT background I would list your certs first; that will grab the attention of the reader. Nested at the bottom leaves a good chance that the reviewer will not even get there

There's probably some things I'm missing but that should give you some things to work on. Good luck with your job search and your IT adventures!
  • Options
    Thanks Isud00d.

I had a couple interviews but no job offers. I think I might have been able to land a help desk, but I think my current wage pushed the employer away. They asked me in the interview what I currently make and what I would want to make in the new job. I make $19/hr now. I told them I would prefer to stay around $16 or higher. A week later I got an email saying they decided to go with another candidate, but the job is still posted online.

Anyways, I decided to wait until I got my N+ to re-update my resume. Here it is. Any other suggestions from anybody?

resume help.pdf
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I get the impression of someone fluffing up minimal experience and hoping we won't notice. If you've done more, those details need to be there. If not, just be straight about it or work to change that.

>TECHNICAL SKILLS

>  Operating Systems – Windows XP, Vista, & 7

Specifics. You do not name any Microsoft certifications, so you probably aren't a Windows expert. This is in your skills section. What can you do? If you mean you can use Google and send e-mails, this almost doesn't belong on a resume. If you have some actual skills with respect to Windows, you should be listing them.

>  Networking – SOHO routers & switches, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, Ethernet cabling, & wireless networking

Specifics. Again, you don't have any networking certifications beyond a Network+, so you probably aren't a routing/switching or TCP/IP expert. This is in your skills section. What can you do with them?

>  Install and configure home/small office networking equipment, including routers, switches, Ethernet cabling, WAPs, PCs, printers and IP cameras for individual projects

This is, by far, your most interesting line. You configured routers and switches, not a router and a switch. How often? Which vendors? How many? How you debug their intercommunication? I'd elaborate on this.
  • Options
    >  Designed an Access database to track and report rehab unit admission and discharge statistics

This is solid. Whatever you do, keep this line. :)

>  Utilized multiple hospital computer applications to complete duties quickly and efficiently
    >  Exhibited initiative by continually seeking progressive responsibilities in daily duties
    >  Refined the ability to multitask while attending to minute details

You can reduce this quite a bit. It's filler not directly related to the job you're seeking.

I might go with--
    * My main duties were blah, blah, blah..
    * I also designed an Access database to track and report rehab unit admission and discharge statistics

(Any other specific and common applications you used might be relevant.)
  • Options
    >  Developed skills necessary to operate and maintain a safe and productive work environment
    >  Demonstrated decision-making ability on a daily basis by directing employees and relating to customers
    >  Recognized for superior customer service skills via promotion to management

Again, I'd probably nix this filler, and go with a one-line description of your duties plus the promotion line.
  • Options
    If your resume is too short after removing filler, consider adding some of the classes that you took directly related to your desired position. You omitted your g.p.a. If it was a 3.0 or better, consider listing it. My grades are no longer relevant, but you're still in college and completing classes, so it's quite relevant to potential employers.
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    - IMO listing Office Suite's is an understood redundancy because in IT you're expected to be able to use that software to varying degrees of proficiency, unless your an Excel macro guru or something. If you don't have other industry software to list I would remove the line.

I see, so before you had "Office Suite" listed in your skills section. That does seem dangerous, for the reasons lsud00d mentions. At the same time, not mentioning it at all also seems dangerous. I suppose I'd do one or both of the following--

1. List "Basic proficiency with..." in your skills section.

2. Identify your use of the application as it related to your jobs as you did for Access.
  • Options
    I appreciate all of your input NetworkVeteran. Most of my experience has been setting up consumer grade equipment (Linksys, 2Wire, & Netgear.) I've never touched any Cisco or Juniper equipment. I agree that I did some fluffing, I'm just having a hard time trying to put the little bit of experience I have down so that my resume will be noticed. I just made those changes and posted it here so that I could get some feedback before I send it out to anyone. I will keep working on it. Thanks again.