Options

Help me plan my future!

Hi guys I posted a thread that is still on this page about wanting to work at home/flexible time. I have my network+ exam booked for March and I was going to do the CCNA. Its made me realise I really dont know what route I want to go down.icon_silent.gif I have struggled badly studying for the CCNA and the 70-680 in the past. I tend to enjoy varied roles where I am always learning and everyday is different. Basically I'm on quite a low wage £16,000 PA in my current role and I have had about 5 interviews in the past 12 months and missed out on every one. Mainly due to lack of Exchange and AD experience (I think) I'm 28 and really cant be doing with being on this wage for much longer. So I'm really looking for some reasonably quick certs to get out of this rut I'm stuck in. I'll post my C.V up as well, it isnt my fully upto date version as I'm not at home at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nobody?
Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    DJohnsonRoseDJohnsonRose Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am willing to help I was in the same position 4 years ago. Just looking over your cv now.....

Do you currently hold any certs? What role would you like to go for? What is your current job title? What job titles was held in the past? Is there a particular exam you are looking to take (besides Network+) are you a UK citizen? Do you hold a full driving license? Any criminal convictions?

Knowing all this would help me assist you better as they make a difference to a potential employer.
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Hi thank you for replying.icon_thumright.gif
    I have the Cisco IT essentials which is basically a worthless cert and I have my exam booked for my Network+ next month.
    Most of the roles I have gone for are kind of just your run of the mill support roles for businesses similar if you will to a school IT support position.
    I have worked in customer facing support for a large computer components shop and my current job title is IT Analyst, but I basically just configure servers operating systems and routers. I have a full driving license and I have Police Caution for a minor offence ten years ago.
    Hope this helps.
    Edit to add..
    Looking through certs in my area Microsoft is a lot more in demand than Cisco.
    If I remember correctly the reason I stopped on the Win7 cert was because when I was trying to make the PE disks the instructions in the book and on the Technet website were wrong. I got that frustrated after wasting 3 days. I also found it quite boring to be fair I did have some serious relationship problems at the time

Sorry it seems I misread your post.
    I'm wondering whether doing the S+ would be worth it as its expensive and I'm not exactly loaded.
    But its a toss up of whether I'm going to do the CCNA (which I have found really hard but maybe the knowledge from the N+ may help this time around) or go the Microsoft route.
    I did the Win7 70-680 but at the time my head wasn't exactly right as I said above.
    I'm wondering if I may find the 70-642 easier than the CCNA and work towards the MCSA 2008.
    I know I'd probably have an easier time finding a better paid job with the Microsoft cert than the CCNA.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Keep in mind that it's not certs that land you a job, it's the knowledge you gain from them and how well you demonstrate that in an interview. I'm in the US and I don't know how much formatting differs, but your CV seems very plain and non-specific. Check out some of the templates included in MS Word. You aren't going for flashy, but you want the formatting to look appealing and professional. Do a google image search for IT resumes and look them over for examples. Be more specific about your skills if possible.

Rather than: "Setting up routers, switches, VPNs......."

How about: "Installed and configured vendorx modely series switches. Made VLAN assignments and maintained configuration backups"....or...."Configured site-to-site and remote access VPN connections utilizing vendorx modely appliances"

My primary concern is that your CV doesn't really tell me what you know or can do.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    Good advice never even thought of that
  • Options
    You seem to be in a good possition I have no idea why they are paying you that salary Id expect above £20k at least. I think the lack of certs and qualifications will really hold you back, there's no way to validate your skills. You should focus on getting certified on the technology your currently using and building off that. Its hard for people to get in the IT industry with certs and no experience because it looks like they are book smart with no real skills, your in a good position.

As for qualifications I'd reccomend open uni, I started with RDI and its costing me £550 per module (theres 18 in the whole course) but after that I will have a Bsc Honours in Business Computing, if its expensive you can apply for a student loan and pay it off after earning over £21,000 PA. You can use you job title and low wage to your advantage.

I also think you need a general idea of where you want to be before retirement and where you want to be in 5 years, then put a plan together to get there. It really helps.

My advice to you would be to complete the 70-680, go for the 70-685/686 before January if you can as this will get you 6 certificates (3xMCTS, 2xMCITP, 1xMCSA) then go for an MCSA in 2008 or 2012, then focus on mastering everything your exposed to in your current role. If you can get time or money to do so I strongly recommend the RDI for a degree because this will open the doors to management positions.

Just to add, you can use MTA's to boost your CV as its a easy cert with Microsoft in it. Its a good filler till you get your CV looking more bulky it costs £20 per exam. This will get your CV read more by the HR deportment or search bots who look for keywords and most likely know nothing about how high or low the cert is but will be impressed with Microsoft, its also a good way to judge if your ready or not for a MCTS exam.

RDI
    Distance Learning Degrees Online | Study UK Universities Courses from Home - RDI - RDI

The Open Uni
    Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University
  • Options
    I'm not too sure on the RDI and open Uni as I'm already pretty badly in debt and on a DMP (debt management plan)
    Your advice on the Microsoft stuff is good. I'll get a book on the 70-680 and start it again.
    The role I do at the moment isn't that complicated although that may just be the way it seems to me and I maybe sell myself short.
    I do need to have a think about what I want to do. I've always imagined myself in some kind of design role.
    Although what I don't know.
    Thank you for he advice
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Even if you dont want to go into networking, it will be a part of most jobs. I would strongly recommend getting that CCNA. It will help your job hunt tremendously. And then as stated above, go for a few microsoft ones. That way you have the basic foundation of certs to help currently. Then, once you have a better idea what direction you want to go it, you decide what certs to do next. But really, that foundation of CCNA and the Microsoft stuff is a standard these days. and the ccna really isnt that bad. Find some videos online they were really helpful to me and then do a ton of study questions and you will be fine. Also swing over to the CCNA forum for tons of additional assistance.
  • Options
    @DJohnsonRose
    Thanks for that. I wanted to do the MTAs a while back for this reason but you had to be enrolled in a college course

@pinkydapimp
    Would you say do the CCNA before or after the Microsoft stuff?
  • Options

I would say so because the Network+ stuff will help as some of it overlaps with the CCNA material. Might as well do it now while its fresh in your mind. Also most folks recommend doing the two test option as its a bit easier. I would double check in the CCNA forum to see if that has changed though.
  • Options
    That was the route i was going to go down.
    Hate subnettingicon_redface.gif
    the Net+ should help and I'll be in a slightly better position through at least having one cert.
    I may add a poll icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    yea subnetting sucks. there are some cool tricks to subnetting which will make that part of the test REAL easy!
  • Options
    It does its pretty boring as well.
    Do you have a link to the tricks?
    i think when I was last doing my ICND1 I was only just failing and it was the Subnetting questions which were pushing me below the pass rate.
  • Options

CCNA / CCENT Forums
    Check the stickies. there is a ridiculous about of good info there. including those tricks to subnetting
  • Options
    I think its been changed now, you can book it on prometric. I agree with pinkydapimp (nice name btw lol) CCNA is a strong networking cert to have. I can help you study for the Windows 7 exams, I don't mind doing it over again, I recently passed so it will help me retain what I have learnt it may also teach me something new or you may give me a new angle to look at things.
  • Options
    Might be worth me getting the MTA ones done if they are still cheap and it may give me some foundational info towards the others.
    Yeah that would be cool :)
    How would we do that?
    CCNA / CCENT Forums
    Check the stickies. there is a ridiculous about of good info there. including those tricks to subnetting
    Thanksicon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    @DJohnsonRose

icon_lol.gif[Next Friday] - Pinkys Arrival - YouTube

@dazl1212
    this place has a forum for pretty much any cert your looking for. this site is great!
  • Options
    Agreed. Where else could I ask such a broad question and actually get some advice?
  • Options
    DJohnsonRose, I just had a look at the MTA exam and its £76 how did you get it for £20?
  • Options
    Here's my preliminary plan for critigue!
    Finish my N+ (exam booked for the 22nd of March)
    Do the MTA Network and Server administration, to show I have some competency in Server.
    Maybe read TCIP illustrated and The Definitive Guide to Ethernet
    CCENT
    CCNA
    Windows Certs.
    How does this look?
  • Options
    Juniper? I see this come up a bit in job searches near me and I dont know anyone who has a cert with them.
    Wonder if thats worth looking into?
  • Options
    £76!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW at that price it is definitely not worth it IMO when an MCTS is £99, that's what pro metric charged me.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am sure I have said this a few times here now when people asked similar questions. It doesn't matter what you got - Cisco / Microsoft or Pigfarming. The important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing. There is no point in getting certification xzy if you end up hating it. If you hate it - you won't excel at it. If you don't excel in it - you end up going to work, working from paycheck to paycheck.

If you enjoy it - you end up going further and further in your career.

If you enjoy bits and bytes - go Cisco .. If you enjoy clicking UIs, go Microsoft (ok, clearly not meant to be serious) - I hope you know what I mean.

Same goes for salaries. What pays the most today, can be redundant tomorrow ... You will always earn sh** lots of money no matter what you do - IF you are good at it ...

I know Windows Admins and Cisco staff earning next to nothing and I know Windows Admins earning almost 4-figures per day because they brilliant in what they do.

Even if you now go for Juniper because you have seen adverts and YOU don't know anyone with a cert. There might be people on the free job marked, coming through agencies, with tons of experience, but no certs, willing to move from overseas .. getting this job in an instant ..

Remember, if you NOW start a new topic you aren't familiar with - be it Juniper, Cisco, Microsoft, Truck driving or Pigfarming, it WILL take you 1+ year to perfect your knowledge .. that doesn't include experience required to fish a REALLY good paid job.

Marked changes on daily basis and who knows whats going on in a year or two ..

So DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND BECOME GOOD AT IT...

If you got no clue - pickup a book of either and see if you can even digest the material .. If you are still not sure, pickup a simulator and fiddle around with networks and setup an AD infrastructure and play with that ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    £76!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW at that price it is definitely not worth it IMO when an MCTS is £99, that's what pro metric charged me.

Yeah I was shocked as well. You must have got it on special offericon_lol.gif
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I am sure I have said this a few times here now when people asked similar questions. It doesn't matter what you got - Cisco / Microsoft or Pigfarming. The important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing. There is no point in getting certification xzy if you end up hating it. If you hate it - you won't excel at it. If you don't excel in it - you end up going to work, working from paycheck to paycheck.

If you enjoy it - you end up going further and further in your career.

If you enjoy bits and bytes - go Cisco .. If you enjoy clicking UIs, go Microsoft (ok, clearly not meant to be serious) - I hope you know what I mean.

Same goes for salaries. What pays the most today, can be redundant tomorrow ... You will always earn sh** lots of money no matter what you do - IF you are good at it ...

I know Windows Admins and Cisco staff earning next to nothing and I know Windows Admins earning almost 4-figures per day because they brilliant in what they do.

Even if you now go for Juniper because you have seen adverts and YOU don't know anyone with a cert. There might be people on the free job marked, coming through agencies, with tons of experience, but no certs, willing to move from overseas .. getting this job in an instant ..

Remember, if you NOW start a new topic you aren't familiar with - be it Juniper, Cisco, Microsoft, Truck driving or Pigfarming, it WILL take you 1+ year to perfect your knowledge .. that doesn't include experience required to fish a REALLY good paid job.

Marked changes on daily basis and who knows whats going on in a year or two ..

So DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND BECOME GOOD AT IT...

If you got no clue - pickup a book of either and see if you can even digest the material .. If you are still not sure, pickup a simulator and fiddle around with networks and setup an AD infrastructure and play with that ...
    I may have a look at the Juniper certs as well and see what I'm more comfortable with.
    I wouldn't say I particularly enjoy any of it. I have found some of the Cisco stuff interesting.
    But thats more the studying and the pressure I'm putting myself under
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I particularly enjoy any of it..

What's the point then tbh. If you don't enjoy any of it, you won't enjoy the job, you won't go above and beyond (needed to get a good salary and bonus), you won't keep up to date (or even re-certify / update your certs) and you will be job jumping link a squirrel seeing nuts all over the place trying to get them all.

If you are interested in Cisco - then that is a start - read the book, learn to subnet and see if you could get the cert pushed out ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    What's the point then tbh. If you don't enjoy any of it, you won't enjoy the job, you won't go above and beyond (needed to get a good salary and bonus), you won't keep up to date (or even re-certify / update your certs) and you will be job jumping link a squirrel seeing nuts all over the place trying to get them all.

If you are interested in Cisco - then that is a start - read the book, learn to subnet and see if you could get the cert pushed out ..

Yeah I did enjoy the simulators and setting up networks.
    Its just the pressure more than anything.
    I dont think there is any job I think I would enjoy doing 8 hours a day five times a week IT or otherwise icon_lol.gif
    I at least have an interest in IT
  • Options
    I just want to clarify I do enjoy IT and I cant think of a field I would rather be in save for being a sports star or something.
    I am just being honest there are times I find studying a bit of a drag as I don't enjoy every aspect of say the CCNA.
    Subnetting being one of those areas of the top of my head.
    At the end of the day it is a job and I need to start making more money as quickly as possible and certification is the only way I can achieve that.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Come to cisco. I want to see your avatar more. ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Its definitely up there icon_exclaim.gif
    I have plenty more good avis as well icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    I just want to clarify I do enjoy IT and I cant think of a field I would rather be in save for being a sports star or something.
    I am just being honest there are times I find studying a bit of a drag as I don't enjoy every aspect of say the CCNA.
    Subnetting being one of those areas of the top of my head.
    At the end of the day it is a job and I need to start making more money as quickly as possible and certification is the only way I can achieve that.

I would say still do it. Even if you dont want to be on the networking side of things, its stuff you need to know a bit about. I am not on the networking side of things and really have no interest in it. But when i got my CCNA it opened up alot of different opportunities. Its knowledge that really everyone needs to know.
  • Options
    Yeah that's my thinking, although I think I'd enjoy the Networking side as I've enjoyed the small bit I get to do in my current role.
    Especially designing small networks :D
    The Juniper stuff sounds good as well and its a little different than the ubiquitous Cisco icon_lol.gif