Options

is it worth upgrading to 8 MB? Will I notice much?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
is it worth upgrading to 8 MB? Will I notice much?

If I upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8 MB will there be a noticeable improvement with speed? Is it a worth wild investment

I know I will have to use 64x version of windows for it to work it out so is it worth it for my laptop?

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Please tell me you mean GB...

I'm going to answer on the assumption that you do in fact mean Gigabytes, not Megabytes. In that case, it all depends on what you are doing with your laptop. If all that you ever do is surf the web and run Microsoft Office, then no you probably wouldn't notice an improvement. If however you are looking to virtualize machines, do any kind of video or audio editing, run a ton of web browser tabs all at the same time, then yes you would see a big improvement.

Remember that RAM is not going to make your computer faster per se, it will only give the operating system the breathing room it needs in order to be able to perform many tasks at once. Anyways, if you have the money available, give it a go!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have a slow processor and 5400 HDD no it won't make much of a difference IMO.

JD make some really good points.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    More memory should increase the diskpage cache that is available so if you use apps which are disk read intensive, you should experience better disk I/O. It really depends on what you are doing as others have mentioned.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    While RAM is cheap, looks like you'll have to drop money on a new OS license. Then spend time backing up/installing it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Short answer: It may or may not

Long answer: To make a computer faster you need to remove its current bottleneck. Thus, upgrading RAM will only help if your computer is currently constrained by the amount of RAM. You need to evaluate whether that is the case by measuring various subsystems' performance and taking into account the function you use the computer for - gaming, video rendering, etc...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs