Options

Please share your ideas.

GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
Hi guys, I need your serious help. I shared my interview process and the final decision before.
http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/85022-got-job.html

I have been working as a Network Engineer for more than a month. However there is a very serious problem. I have no idea what to do. I am hired by XXX company ( well known corp. provides outsourcing) and job advertisement was totally about Network Engineering (CCNA/Juniper/CCNP required), whole process was about Network Engineering. Even they provided a very serious training through layer by layer for 15 days ( which was better than awesome, a real bootcamp). They hired me (and my team) because we were supposed to work for YYY company as Network Engineers (outsourcing comes here).

]After this "better than awesome" training. They hand over us to other company ( YYY = this is also a very good company, they are in NASDAQ) which we will be working for ( up to here no problem)[/FONT][/COLOR]
However what I understand our XXX corp did not know exactly what we will be doing. ( missing communication causes to a BIG! problem)
It turned out that JOb is even not close to Network Engineering. It is technical, network fundamentals are necessary but out of scope. Like: Common thing between a nurse and a doctor is = they are related to medical but they are even not close in reality. So same here.
I have a Network Engineer job title given by XXX but Support Engineer job title by YYY.
Problem here is; if i work as a Network Engineer but supporting some products and troubleshooting them through tickets and remote connection (really complex products), after a while a Network Engineer who has the same years of experience on paper ( but real Network Engineer) will crash me so easily on the market when it comes to Networking (OSPF,EIGRP,L2TP,Load balancing.....)
What would u do if u were me ?
I am still in trial period...

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How long is the gig at YYY? It sounds like XXX is a good company, so if the YYY is a temporary assignment you may want to wait it out. Besides, it may still be a good experience, just not aligned with your current goals but one that may be useful in the future.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    How long is the gig at YYY? It sounds like XXX is a good company, so if the YYY is a temporary assignment you may want to wait it out. Besides, it may still be a good experience, just not aligned with your current goals but one that may be useful in the future.

For YYY? As long as it is possible as far as I know. ( that's what i was told). On the other hand, there may be different positions and chances at YYY too at the future (my opinion, no info about this). However what i don't like is uncertainty. Waiting for a better chance and working as a Support Engineer on phone for a long time will definitely take me out of game at Networking. Support Engineer title may lead me to a Solution Engineer, that's the visible (probably the only)way if it happens ( after some years of experience)

Funny thing is that, nobody knows that job is not Network Engineering from XXX.(yet) Even our team leader learnt at the same time with us.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ok, that gives a better picture. I'd say use your senses and assess the situation. If you feel this support work is not an initial assignment within YYY (regardless of how talented a new person is there is only so much he can do in the first few weeks until he learns the ropes) and there is little room for growth in the immediate future, raise your concern with XXX and if they don't act on it, look for another job. (again, IMO) Nothing wrong with leaving a position that turned out to be something other than what you expected.

That's my 2 cents.

Btw, don't get hung up on the titles, pay more attention to the role itself and experience it brings with it. E.g. I went from a Senior Sysadmin at Company A to a Sysadmin at Comany B, but the latter was far more advanced position.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs