Options

Two certs at the same time!

PsychoCiscoPsychoCisco Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is anyone studying for two certifications concurrently? if so how do you do that?

What sort of study plans do you use. How much time do you dedicate per subject?

Comments

• Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Surely it depends what the certs are.. Like CCENT and N+ is hardly a problem while CCENT and some data centre exam is.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    I'm doing ICND2 and MCSA 2008 so was wondering how people do it. I mean I am doing it but wanted to see how others do it just to get an idea
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am working on TSHOOT and CWNA and have been dividing my time up between them but spending more time on TSHOOT. I find using my own time table helps organize myself and prevents me from over indulging on one exam over another.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I am working on TSHOOT and CWNA and have been dividing my time up between them but spending more time on TSHOOT. I find using my own time table helps organize myself and prevents me from over indulging on one exam over another.

How do you divide your time up? Is it like TSHOOT one day and CWNA the next day? I tend to spend more time on ICND2 and then totally forget about MCSA icon_neutral.gif.
  • Options
    I'm just gonna concentrate on ICND2 and then once I've got CCNA; I will continue on MCSA.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's generally recommended not to study for two different certs at the same time. Think of it this way: If you're cramming information about routers and switches, then you mix it up to cram yet MORE information about Microsoft and Apple you'll end up with - at best - jumbled information. At worst, you'll forget almost everything of Session 1.

I like to think of it as a language. The easiest and fastest way to learn a language is to allow yourself to be swallowed by it. You see people speak it, you read signs everywhere, you get to witness how other people act with words. Allow yourself to be taken into the first certification - understand it, love it. Then, go on to the next certification.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying Security plus and 70-640 right now
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I find studying for two certs at the same time to be extremely helpful. Sometimes I get burned out on one kind of subject matter, and I like to have something else to read to take a break. One cert is always the primary cert that I'm focusing on more heavily, and after I finish it, the alternate cert becomes my primary. At the moment I'm studying hard for ICND-2, but when I can't cram anymore networking into my head, I like to spend an hour, a day, or however long it takes me to reboot my head, studying security topics.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just like what ramrunner said. Its nice to have a break from the CCNP stuff and watch some CWNA vids. I set myself a few goals each day and make sure I watch maybe 2-3 CWNA related vids (they can be quite long) and create mind maps one what I learnt.How you plan things depends on the individual and what you're studying towards. There is no one size fits all. I would not normally study for two certs at a time but am pushed for time so got to hurry myself along a bit.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    I'm studying for ccna:securtiy and Sans GCIA. The benefit for me is that the content for both can overlap. The first book of the GCIA feels like a ccna review. I also have the advantage of using tools mentioned in the GCIA(Tcpdump,tshark, tcptrace) as well as using snort.

The trick is not letting the reading overrun you, and keeping interest in the content.
  • Options
    I agree with Roguetadhg, it felt like I was cramming. It was like I was lying to myself. Now I have delayed MS studies and concentrate only on CCNA. I spend more time doing labs etc etc so about 8 hours a day just for ICND2 I should be able to sit for the exam by mid March then MCSA.

After reading about this whole CWNA thing I'm very interested in that too :D
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its better to study two totally different subjects..guess then it would help if one gets bored studying the same thing for a longer duration.I just passed my ICND1 exam and now for a week or two I will be studying for ITIL foundation at the same time 1 chapter a day for ICND2 and I think I will be able to manage...lets see..
  • Options
    It depends on the person I guess. If I was doing ICND1 yes I would do another subject. But ICND 2 is harder than ICND1 , need more hands on practice. Reading and watching videos not gonna be enough.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its doable, just look at North Korea (aka Best Korea) one minute they are testing Nukes and at the same time holding the world hostage for more food and oil. It all depends on how to balance things out :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    JustFred wrote: »
    Its doable, just look at North Korea (aka Best Korea) one minute they are testing Nukes and at the same time holding the world hostage for more food and oil. It all depends on how to balance things out :)

LOL :D it's definitely doable, I think I suck at balancing things out. I need to work out how to study efficiently, I waste more time on unnecessary things (eg; playing stick cricket on my phone :p ) I need to learn self discipline icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually do it like this.

Study for an hour take 10 minutes break

Study again for an hour.

Go and do something totally different like play pro evolution soccer

Come back again an hour later and study again or do something else.

if you are going to study, put all your energy in those two or 3 hours then go do something else after that to relax your mind.

Try not to study 8 hours straight or something like that, it might work for some people but for me 2-3 or 4 hours is all i can take. Am not going to spend 8 hours on Saturday studying. I have people in my life i need to spend time with as well and that is also very crucial. Don't miss out on the most important things in life, even if small. Enjoy life
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    jamzhilljamzhill Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can see several advantages to studying both at once. Besides significant skill overlap, you can prioritize topics based on convenience and most immediate needs. Although I would divide the time to focus on one subject at a time. Studing two at once is doable if you are ramping up and just trying to sharpen skills, preparing for the exam exam is a different story.
  • Options
    Prog SnobProg Snob Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JustFred wrote: »

icon_lol.gif

Perfectly played!
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll have to ask this question as well.

My reasons being is that I am interested in the BS Computer Networks and Security at University of Maryland - University College. Within the course track all the computer classes are all directed towards one certification or another. So I would have to take two certs at the same time (ex:ICND2 and LPIC-1 , or Security+ and CCNP-Switch).

I'm guessing I wont have much of a choice.
    Has anyone done this before because of school? any insight?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree