Options

Venting about VLSM

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
This is my first time venting on the forum so i am including this in off topic:

Is it me, or are VLSM questions just a cruel joke in order to make us calculate 5 subnet ranges?!?!

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They are much easier with practice!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Just wait till you interview for engineering positions and they hand you questions expecting you subnet various class C and maybe a Class B subnet on paper icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are referring to the practice questions from Odom's ICND2 book by Boson, than yes, they are cruel...
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's kinda fun when you get the hang of it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Just wait till you interview for engineering positions and they hand you questions expecting you subnet various class C and maybe a Class B subnet on paper icon_smile.gif
    Do interviewers really ask that type of thing for an engineer position? I would love that question! Subnetting is so easy and I can do it pretty quickly WITHOUT paper in my head.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of the questions on our screening exam for security engineers (all levels, I-III) asks how many usable IP addresses are in a /23 network. You would be shocked at how many people get that one wrong, especially considering A.) it's pretty easy and B.) it's an online exam so you could easily Google the answer.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Do interviewers really ask that type of thing for an engineer position? I would love that question! Subnetting is so easy and I can do it pretty quickly WITHOUT paper in my head.

I wish I could get paper in my head icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    CodeBlox, +1.

I'd rather do a VLSM question than answer some obscure questions about a protocol I never used.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's kinda fun when you get the hang of it.

OK you are just strange! ;)

I have to say I came in to networking from a VLSM angle, so to me VLSM seems natural, to think people use to use classful networks seems strange.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ha, +1 for that! I agree!! What is with those strange people using a whole class A address space?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's not the subnetting that bothers me, it's the way they ask the questions in the Boson practice tests. I actually enjoy subnetting.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its exactly like subnetting once it clicks, its easy. I think Jeremy's way is pretty easy.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    I have a really simple way to deal with sub netting.

first thing i do when I walk in to an exam is write out a sheet for all /16 and longer subnets, with CDR, mask, wildcard, hosts, step, host bits, network bits, binary notation.....

Only takes a few minutes and saved having to think and detracts myself when answering questions. I have one the same thing on the wall at work, the last thing I want to to make a silly mistake in the middle of another question or when configuring a network.

I should note I don't write it out from memory, i still work it out, and I would suggest this is a great way to learn it. If you can sit down with a blank bit of paper and write out all the major bits of information from a /16 to a /32 network you are well on your way to understanding how it fits together. In fact any one struggling with VLSM I would suggest gives it a try.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL! I do the same thing but I write 1 through 255, and my block sizes. Takes time but I have 15 minutes during the tutorial. I usually write down stuff like public IP range, Private IP range. The proctor looked at me crazy when I turned everything in cause both sides of my laminated sheet completely filled.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

I've never been asked a subnetting question in an interview.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

yes they can for entry level network posts. Thank god them times are behind me!

I hate doing it in my head, which is why I would take paper and pen in, its not just for notes ;) In one of my first interviews they looked on in amusement as I did it long hand in binary. Still got the job though..

So don't worry if you are not quick, just make sure you know how to get it right, people will overlook you taking a few extra minutes to make sure you get it right. However they don't like it when you take down the network because you rushed and get it wrong.