Options

Skype Phones

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Anyone have experience with these on a corporate network? Do they slow the network down, are they something to avoid on slow bandwidth links?
It's not something I've used in the past.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    haha thanks. :D

In my defense I did do that and looked at a few figures but just wanted to see if anyone has / had used this on a company network and did they experience any issues? Usually what's on paper and what happens in production are different.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To be fair - it is still a bit of a "how long is a string" question. It depends on so many things, how many calls / how long do they take / do people use skype for more than just calls / internal / external calls ... and the list goes on.

Skype is cheap nowadays .. If you want to be sure, use it as a trial and make test calls and measure the bandwidth locally.

The Skype site might not be real world, but it certainly gives a good indication in what to expect. If you want to test internal > external, sign up and get a few credits - they cost next to nothing ..

No one can predict bandwidth used in your environment given the unknowns ..

We use Skype / MSN / Trilliant and even Yahoo messenger and people use it for chat and voice and we have not made any changes on the network - it just doesn't put a dent into our bandwidth ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Anthony23Anthony23 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Buti don't think so that Skype is cheap in now a days i prefer to use SKype this is good way to talk with your freidns and family at every where by video and have no tension of any charges of phone call i am also using this software this si good and now a new software is released is Viber is also a kind of SKype...
  • Options
    JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    I have used wireless Skype phones in a corp. environment. These were not very well received. It was a healthcare facility (hospital) and did not work out so well. Lots of dropped calls, bad reception, and not user friendly. They switched to Voicera products and really liked them. Not sure this helps, but its my two cents ;)

J