Options

How to deal with......

NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
A boss who has been appropriately dubbed the "Morale Assassin." He has no technical knowledge, abilities, etc. Doesn't ever read his emails. Is simply a "yes" man for all inquiries that come into I.T.

Frustrating!!!!

Thoughts on how to copeicon_twisted.gif....
WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First, you'll need to procure some supplies. Requisition a 40lb bag of quicklime, a roll of carpet or tarp, and a shovel. Be sure to do it in the bosses name, you wouldn't want it traced back to you.

Next, you'll need to find some property that isn't planned for development any time soon, preferably the next 50 years if at all possible...

Once you've scoped out an appropriate site, tell your boss you've found a good IT convention that gives away free iPad mini's to randomly selected participants, and you managed to talk them out of free admission for two.

When you're on the way there, tell him you have to make a quick stop. You know where some KPIs are buried that will really impress upper managment.

Let him dig, no need to get dirty.

Once he's gotten far enough in, borrow the shovel, smack him over the head, roll him up in the tarp, throw in the lime, and fill in the hole.

Hopefully your next boss will be better.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Drink and use up all your leave looking for another job.

JK

Can you apply for other internal positions? Have you started looking externally? Have you talked to him about your concerns in a tactiful way?
  • Options
    BigMevy wrote: »
    First, you'll need to procure some supplies. Requisition a 40lb bag of quicklime, a roll of carpet or tarp, and a shovel. Be sure to do it in the bosses name, you wouldn't want it traced back to you.

Next, you'll need to find some property that isn't planned for development any time soon, preferably the next 50 years if at all possible...

Once you've scoped out an appropriate site, tell your boss you've found a good IT convention that gives away free iPad mini's to randomly selected participants, and you managed to talk them out of free admission for two.

When you're on the way there, tell him you have to make a quick stop. You know where some KPIs are buried that will really impress upper managment.

Let him dig, no need to get dirty.

Once he's gotten far enough in, borrow the shovel, smack him over the head, roll him up in the tarp, throw in the lime, and fill in the hole.

Hopefully your next boss will be better.

LMAO....Although keeping it in the realm of "being legal" is critical.

WGU -

• Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Drink and use up all your leave looking for another job.

JK

Can you apply for other internal positions? Have you started looking externally? Have you talked to him about your concerns in a tactiful way?

Internal positions....No, there are none.
    Externally...Recently started
    Talk to him about it.....Would do more harm than good.

WGU -

• Options
    jeepster78jeepster78 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I deal with the same crap and even though I'm the second in command I have to make all the decisions. The company knows all about it and since he is so close to retirement they let it be. On the plus side its good job security for me being the main go to guy and they just gave me a nice promotion/raise during a time of company pay freezes icon_cheers.gif.

My boss actually sits and watches anime all day long and just as the op stated he don't read/respond to any emails.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    My boss is the same way. It's time to look external unless you know he's on the way out. I'm guessing if he is a yes man it means no changes are happening so you need to ramp up your resume. Use this time to study at work :)
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Sounds like to me polishing up the resume and getting the suit cleaned and pressed is in your future.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    You can always try talking to HR about him. It's very likely that they don't even know this problem exists until somebody says something.

I'm in a similar situation and HR has been very friendly in trying to help(even though unsuccessfully thus far).
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    You can always try talking to HR about him. It's very likely that they don't even know this problem exists until somebody says something.

I'm in a similar situation and HR has been very friendly in trying to help(even though unsuccessfully thus far).

Funny you said that. One person in my office has went to HR about him in the past.

WGU -

• Options
    loxleynew wrote: »
    My boss is the same way. It's time to look external unless you know he's on the way out. I'm guessing if he is a yes man it means no changes are happening so you need to ramp up your resume. Use this time to study at work :)
    Yeah, he's not going anywhere that I can foresee. He is the Director's "micro manager."crash.gif

WGU -

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Funny you said that. One person in my office has went to HR about him in the past.

One person is easy to dismiss but multiple that work directly with him pull a lot more weight. Go yourself and encourage anyone else that feels the same way to follow.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the business wants a "yes man" in that position, then going to HR probably isn't going to help that much. I had in IT director one time that was unashamed of and admitted to having his head stuck up his VP's rear end so far that his neck would break if he made a sudden turn to the left or right. We just had to deal with the last minute requests for which we had no resources or went against our policies.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    if the business wants a "yes man" in that position, then going to hr probably isn't going to help that much. I had in it director one time that was unashamed of and admitted to having his head stuck up his vp's rear end so far that his neck would break if he made a sudden turn to the left or right. We just had to deal with the last minute requests for which we had no resources or went against our policies.

bingo!!

WGU -

• Options
    Weird coincidence...... So I started this thread yesterday afternoon.....Last night I received an email at about 8 pm that went like this......

"Hello NOLAJ,

A few months ago you applied for a Systems Administrator position in xxxxxxxx, Florida. The position had been filled prior to a recruiter contacting you, however the position has since re-opened. Here are the job specifics:"

Edit...**Names changed to protect the innocent
    icon_lol.gif

WGU -

• Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Weird coincidence...... So I started this thread yesterday afternoon.....Last night I received an email at about 8 pm that went like this......

"Hello NOLAJ,

A few months ago you applied for a Systems Administrator position in xxxxxxxx, Florida. The position had been filled prior to a recruiter contacting you, however the position has since re-opened. Here are the job specifics:"

Edit...**Names changed to protect the innocent
    icon_lol.gif

Congrats! things happen for a reason. Is this a job you really wanted before?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Drink and use up all your leave looking for another job

Why waste vacation to look for a new job ? If you know you want to leave (and eventually will), you might as well use your working hours to look for a job / lunch breaks / sick days for interviews and when you leave either take your leave at the end or let them pay for it ..

Err oops - did I say that out loud ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would of taken all my vacation up and then put my two weeks in. Life is too short - I have built a nice contigency giving me the freedom to take off work for at least 1 year+. I think if you plan on scooting through your career without being faced with this situation you are naive. I always plan accordingly it's one of my strengths.

Besides my wife works as an RN and does well. Not to mention some investments I am captilizing on now doesn't hurt.

Good luck to the original poster. I hope they get an interview for the SA position.