Options

Accepeted a Security Engineer positon with an information security company

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
Over the past 2 months, I have been offered 3 positions (computer forensic consultant, technical support engineer, and security engineer). Once I put on my resume that I would be graduating with my Bachelors of Science at the end of the spring semester, I started getting hits non-stop. So to answer the popular question "Do I need a bachelors?", it sure as hell helps, and the last two months have confirmed that.

I picked the Security Engineer position because I felt I could learn the most at this position, grow with the company, good pay, and awesome benefits (sounds good, right?). The entails maintaining, monitoring, and deploying firewalls,IDS, IPS, VPN, etc... From glassdoor.com, I thought I was going to make about the same as I do now but I was pleasantly surprised when they actually said the number.

Moving to the IT field 14-15 months ago has been the best decision I have ever made, plus the 140% salary increase over that span is awesome as well.

Thanks for reading icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats and good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, all your hard work paid off!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow that's amazing that you got that many hits! I'm kind of jealous because nothing like that happened to me when i got my bachelors :) . Did you do anything out of the ordinary when you were looking for jobs? Was it just that you added to your resume that you were graduating with you bachelor's, or did you post your resume to any online "headhunter" sites?
  • Options
    All I did was update my resume on Linkedin and Indeed, and the companies started emailing/calling.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on the new position!
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the move up the ladder. Glad to see things working out for you.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    All I did was update my resume on Linkedin and Indeed, and the companies started emailing/calling.

Not to doubt your degree had anything to do with it, but anytime you update your resume on the job boards, or just reload it unchanged for that matter, a flux of hits come in. It's because the date on it is more recent. There are people scanning them every day!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    networker,

That could definitely be it, but whatever it is, I'm glad I was being noticed.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Networker that is exactly right, not that you needed me to tell you that. I refresh every monday and just get a ton of opportunities rolling in. Some are trash, a lot are actually, but there are some nice ones. Right now I have a financial analyst position and a project management position sitting on hold. Both interviewed for and discussing with my wife.

There could be more so I may have to wait a tad bit longer ;)
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats and best of luck!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    Congratulations and Good-luck bro. See, hard work pays off.
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If your new job is anything like mine, you'll be busy. Non-stop. Your brain will explode. Things will speed up around you. The avalanche that used to be in the distance will find itself at your doorstep. The amount of minutia will become overwhelming. The leaky faucets will frustrate and taunt you. The blips on the radar outside the castle will always be watching inward.

And it will be glorious.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021