Computer case cleaning
Hardware replacement
Implementing disk drives
Printer configuration and maintenance
Adding computers to TCP/IP networks
Using the Internet securely
Setting up WiFi networks
Operating systems-Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Software-Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)

Employment

Customer Problems and Resolution Representative
xxxxxxxx Nov 16, 2007-July 28, 2009 xxx
§ Kept customer accounts up to date by capturing identifying information
§ Used analytical skills to research and resolve billing complaints
§ Assisted technicians and customers in the remote activation and programming of equipment
§ Used a web-based application to help customers troubleshoot equipment issues
§ Reviewed customer profiles and determine eligibility for rewards and credits
§ Improved customer loyalty by educating them on the benefits of available technology
§ Increased customer satisfaction by addressing billing or programming concerns and offering changes to programming lineups

Sales Agent
xxxxxxxx June 6,2006-Nov. 1, 2007 xxx
§ Captured end entered customer data into a database to be used by other departments
§ Engaged customers in friendly conversation to discover travel plans and preferences
§ Searched for and recommended hotels to customers based on travel destination and customer criteria

Collections Agent
xxxxxx May 3, 2004-May 26, 2006 xxxx
§ Contacted delinquent account holders to collect payment
§ Updated customer accounts

Education

Jan. 2010-April 2011 University of Phoenix
Associate of Arts –Information Technology
§ Graduated with a 3.54 GPA
§ Routinely used the Internet to locate information for reports
§ Frequently wrote reports using Microsoft Word
§ Composed slideshow presentations using Microsoft Power Point

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    You aren't going to put your Security+ on there somewhere? Also, be prepared to explain the apparent 4 year gap in employment history. Companies REALLY don't like that.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was thinking the same thing. 4 years out of the work force can be viewed as obsolete.

It looks like you can justify a piece of that with your associates degree, but be prepared to explain the lack of employement during that time. It can literally kill you in your efforts to find a job.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can see what my problem is here. Is it really such a unique problem? It's not like I wasn't looking for a job, I just couldn't get hired anywhere. I tried going back to those call centers, but no response. Also, a lot of call centers want bilingual agents now so they don't have to pay for transfers and I am not good at learning other languages. I even took a few jobs in food service but they didn't pan out. I don't want to include those because I don't want people seeing that I've done all these things that aren't related to my current goals plus I got fired from them. I'm even worried about the call centers. I quit the first two on my own but got fired from the third. Incidentally, that's what got me thinking about a career change.
    The reason I don't want to include my Security certification is that I haven't kept up my skills and I'm not sure what I would end up doing with that. I didn't really gain any special skills from it and it's not super helpful at the entry level. It's not like I know how to do penetration testing or anything. I know it seems like I'm selling myself short but I think including that cert would be over-embellishment. I don't want to give the impression that I'm useful where I'm not.
    I want to get in at the ground floor as a technician and work my way up from there. I figure the gap shouldn't matter too much because none of my previous jobs relate to my current goal. I guess I could say I was self-employed, which is true because I have done some minor work for family and friends, and I've done some freelance writing to make some money.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Can you develop the technical skills further? I'm not sure what most of it really means...for example, you say 'Implementing disk drives'. Does this mean you did a RAID-1 configuration via software controller? Or does this mean you put a drive in a bay and connected 2 cables? What does 'adding computers to TCP/IP networks' mean? You connected a CAT-5 and the machine grabbed an IP via DCHP? Also do you know what TCP/IP stands for and what it is, at least at a high-level view? etc etc
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    I wouldn't worry so much about the previous jobs not having anything to do with your goals, as this seems to be a career change for you (in which case it doesn't matter that they weren't applicable.) What is more important is showing some kind of continuity of employment. Think about it from a prospective employer's point of view: If you haven't been able to maintain a steady work history, it is going to throw up a red flag regarding either your work performance or your conduct.

As far as not putting your certification on there, remember that the only purpose of a resume is to get you an interview, not to get you a job. You can always explain your situations and your skill levels at the interview, where you usually have an opportunity to put everything into context for someone.
  • Options
    sammysamesammysame Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    two quick thought...

get rid of 'Kept customer accounts up to date by capturing identifying information' comes across as fluff

and may be change your job title from 'Customer Problems and Resolution Representative' to may be Customer Service and Support...that title seems phony and long-winded