Options

My Career Path?

pmart317pmart317 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new to the forums, but i wanted to get peoples thoughts since i am trying to figure what i want to do with my career. Right now I am doing IT consulting in Columbus, OH. I have a Bachelors degree in Business Administration focusing in the area of MIS. I make about 40K and I am 23 years of age. I am still young and want to figure out what Certs i want to take because of my free time I have after work. My consulting firm mainly places me at the client level doing project work, working with their IT development team either as a BA or QA consultant. Alot of the teams follow an Agile or waterfall methodology, so i am getting experience in those scenarios as well. I mainly been using SQL server 2008 for checking data for testing purposes and running queries to validate inventory levels.

My passion is mobile technology. I want to do something that is fun and that I enjoy doing everyday. I know i do not want to develop/code everyday, but it would be awesome to work with an App development team for smartphones or something. I am not sure if I want to test for the rest of my life, but its a start somewhere because I know that my career path will change a lot in the upcoming years. I thought about doing MS SQL server 2012 certs, A+, CCNA to start off? But, I do not know if getting a network cert is worth it even though I want to do something with mobile technology. Let me know what you think? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello and welcome to TE.

The mobile app market is definitely very hot right now. And there is definitely a lack of good skillset.

Since you are a software app tester, I don't really feel that any of the network or system IT certs would add much value other than adding generally good well-rounded knowledge.

Although, you may not necessarily want to write software, if you have the passion for the technology, I think the best think that you could do is to download the Android SDK or IOS equivalent and tinker around. Just getting a feel for the environment, challenges, various business models for revenue would give you a head start.

Have fun and good luck.