Options

Worth Staying in Help Desk a Bit Longer for Security Clearance?

iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wondering what other peoples' opinions on this is. Sorry it's a big of a long-winded post.

Quick Background:
-Worked in help desk for ~1.5 years
-Quit and went back to college fulltime
-Graduated, only managed to land a job at another help desk (much better company)

Now, I have another 6-12 months here since they asked that I stick with the position for 12-18 months and then they'd see what they can do about moving me on up within the same team at this company.

I've looked on the internal job board and see some openings for help desk positions although they probably will be filled before I've completed my time here on this team.

1 is only for 6 months duration and is literally 5-10 minutes from my house and requires Secret Clearance. (Requires interim to start so I'm guessing that means they'd put me in for it? Hate how some listings aren't worded very clearly as to whether they'd try and get you cleared or not)

2 is for the same duration and about 20-25 minutes from my house and requires Top Secret Clearance. (This one says final required to start)

There are also a few openings at the same location as 2 for Systems Admins that require Secret Clearance (Believe it was interim to start as well).

Anyhow, would you guys consider staying in the help desk type jobs for longer in order to try and obtain a Top Secret Clearance? Or would you rather try and move up into some Jr DBA/Networking/Systems Admin/etc. type position with no clearance, chance to learn more, and more pay?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Personally I'd move up if you have the chance. I never used my clearance and never had the desire to work in a cleared position. If you plan on working in the cleared sector than it would definitely be worth it IMO though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you think chances are good that they will actually get you clearance and that said clearance significantly raises your market value, six months doesn't seem so bad.

I'm not from the area so I don't have a good handle on how much clearance increases your value. The only thing I can add is that another six or so months of helpdesk is not going to add value on its own unless your responsibilities significantly change. A position change, especially to a low-level admin of some type, is going to add a lot of value.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
    You live in the VA/MD area and that's pretty much all government. You'll need the clearance(s).

What you need to do in order to get/keep those clearances, do it. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I'd move up if you have the chance. I never used my clearance and never had the desire to work in a cleared position. If you plan on working in the cleared sector than it would definitely be worth it IMO though.
    I have yet to use mine either and it'll probably go stale... My last job was on a government contract and I really hated it. The job left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm out of the government work and I'm much happier.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I don't mean to pee in your cereal but it's likely you won't get a clearance. There's a surplus of cleared low-end workers around here and many vets with clearances are leaving the military to take the low-end IT jobs with clearances, including the one you want. If you want to take a shot at it, by all means do so, but don't count on it happening in this area with the market and pool of hires the way it is.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Success101 wrote: »
    You live in the VA/MD area and that's pretty much all government. You'll need the clearance(s).

Thats not true. There is plenty non government work in the area.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Clearance is valuable if you like government contracting work. I love it but its not for everyone. I would stick it out, it lasts 10 years for secret and 5 for TS so why not? It will leave many doors open that would otherwise close. I dont think TS is that much more valuable than Secret, in my area most jobs seem to want Secret or TS/SCI with few wanting just a TS.

Im sure you have your interim. The interim clearance is basically just a national agency check and is completed in 2-3 days with no input from you. A Secret takes 4-6 months and TS 9-12 which includes an SSBI and will require you and several family members/friends to be interviewed by an investigator.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If they are saying you can start with a interim that means they will clear you. If they don't explicit say "Current <clearance> required" it means they will do the clearance for you. A secret clearance is a joke, as MiikeB said the interim will take two or three days. They'll run your name and prints through the NCIC and as long nothing comes up you have your interim. For the the full Secret it shouldn't take longer then a month. I've had one (along with a TS SSBI with Full Scope) and have done them it's not a difficult process. My friend is contracting in VA right now and he was hired by the company in December and started working (with the full Secret) in February.

As others have said, if you plan on staying in government related work then I would stay and get the clearance. Obviously since the company knows you they'd be more app to hire you into another position then seek outsiders. Plus, once you get the clearance you can apply for government jobs that require a clearance. I'd stick it out.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the information everyone.

I also think that maybe it's good to have even if you don't use it, just opens up more doors especially in this area. They even have entire job fairs for cleared individuals only.

I'm currently contracted out to a government client and thought it'd make me more marketable if I'm able to obtain one through this company. The positions have been on their internal job board for quite some time now. Hopefully if it's still there when I've paid my dues on this team the company would consider putting my application in for a clearance.

Will have to get a hold of a recruiter since the one that brought me into this contract is at another company now.