Options

how much downtime in your job?

southsidesouthside Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys

How much down times is in your job?

In my role there is no down time and manager always gives me something to do before i head home which is not cool so i end up putting 15 min to 30 min extra

How about you guyss

In my last role there was so much down time so i studied for cers and got bored

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i have not had downtime since the invention of the queue.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    some days i have nothing in my queue and literally have nothing to do.
    other days im stuck at work all day and get plenty of overtime.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I look forward to the day when I land my first gig in IT and there is no such thing as downtime. Downtime is alot in my present position.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Downtime at my current job varies between 80% to 90% of the day. I would love the day when I have more work to do that free time (serious)
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Downtime at my current job varies between 80% to 90% of the day. I would love the day when I have more work to do that free time (serious)

Sometimes, I can agree to that. A busy day usually goes so much faster than a day full of downtime. I would say at my job there is about 25% downtime, and not because there is nothing to do, but because I do not feel like doing everything at a time. I like to space everything out, that gives me time to check out blogs, study, text, catch up on the news, etc...
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It varies. Sometimes I'm swamped and sometimes I have literally nothing to do all day
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am still being shown the ropes.... but it looks like it will be work work work work work work work.... my co-worker spend damn near every second transitioning from one project to another to another, on top of having to deal with escalated tickets... I am trying to learn a little now to help out, but I can't even get much of any traning on their "ways" to even help out pass the little task I get and finish in 5 minutes...

Then I spend 30 minutes waiting for him to finish something, and then I can look on with him at a task, but that usually is interrupted in less than 2 minutes by someone needing something fixed... Days fly here though... Absolutely fly.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Right now, zero. In a few months, probably more. When there's downtime I study so there's never really downtime. I chalk up downtime to mean that I did something right and I don't have to futz with it everyday.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What is this downtime you speak of? ;)
  • Options
    olaHalo wrote: »
    some days i have nothing in my queue and literally have nothing to do.
    other days im stuck at work all day and get plenty of overtime.

nice you get paid over time?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Depends. During the xmas months I prob worked 3-4 days over 7 weeks. After the holidays I usually have something to do for 3 weeks out of the 4 and I usually take 1 week away from projects for admin work.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have very little down time. I have to force the issue if I need to use a few minutes to take care of something personal, but there is more than enough work for me to fill the entire day, most of the time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have about 2-3 hours of downtime on most days at my current job. I try to use every minute of that time on studying up on various things.

Time is wealth guys like they say, it isnt something you can buy or buy back. What separates successful people from others is how they used their time. Use it well.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If I'm the only one taking phone calls while others are doing things then I'll be busy. I can't wait to get away from phones!!!!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    It varies. Sometimes I'm swamped and sometimes I have literally nothing to do all day

Yep, about the same here
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well,

I am a 5 minute talk and 1 minute drive from work. Across the street.

I have a ticket queue and my locals love to email me.

I jump on a ticket the second I can do anything at that moment or planning wise, and within the 1-2 hour mark, I am done with all of my incidents. At that point its projects, meetings, callbacks, network design and solarwinds trolling (making 1-2 tickets a day and having verizon proof out everything). It turns out their NOC doesn't notice 80% of their circuit or router issues until I do.

Usually by 1-2 Pm, the day is over and I'm on TE or I literally walk home and "Work" from home there. My modo is if there is anything I could be doing, do it.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    In an 8.5 hour day, usually 80% downtime. It makes for very long days.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Less than none, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Once my network is perfect in every way then I will take a break. I want the company I work for to be world class because of the work I do, not despite it.

I get paid to work 8 hours a day so I work 8 hours. if there's nothing I am meant to be doing i find some thing to do.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Less than none, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Once my network is perfect in every way then I will take a break. I want the company I work for to be world class because of the work I do, not despite it.

I get paid to work 8 hours a day so I work 8 hours. if there's nothing I am meant to be doing i find some thing to do.

Best response in thread. There is always something that can be done.
  • Options
    i guess the less down time u have the more better IT professional you become and also it adds value to the company and to your role
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Between support tickets, provisioning, and long term projects, I always have something I can be doing.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well, if you are familiar with Sprint work (being a dev team) then, I'll say, sometimes I don't have security work in the Sprint (ours lasts 2 weeks), so, I am now finding myself preparing for future presentations with the dev team, researching new things, going through some CBT nuggets, studying for future exams, testing on my own. Now I'm installing HP Fortify in a linux environment to benchmark the performance increase from running it on a Win2k8 server VM lol
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    It helps if people list what job title or job they are doing.

Someone in a managerial position is not going to have as much downtime as someone in helpdesk (usually)

I have about 40% downtime in a desktop support/jr. admin role.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am currently working a contract position in Info Security for a National bank. I am on the Exchange team, and I am working on archiving mailboxes from former employees who left after the last merger. So most of my day is spent waiting on the archives to transfer to the backup drives.
    I do a LOT of studying, reading on this forum and technet, and labbing in VirtualBox on my personal laptop. My boss is cool with this, he actually told me to bring a book to read on my first day, because of the downtime issues.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Someone in a managerial position is not going to have as much downtime as someone in helpdesk (usually)
    Very good point- and the definition of downtime is pretty relative to what someone would expect.

I usually consider it a relaxing day if I have at least 10 minutes to myself during the work day to use the bathroom.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It helps if people list what job title or job they are doing.

I actually don't agree. My job Title is "Network System Analyst", which in my company means I look at the current network, and the user needs and put forward Project and Business cases for how it needs to be developed to enable the users to get there jobs done. I then project manage and carry out implementation.

Desktop support you are driven by the user, so even in periods where case were low there was always the possibility of a user calling in or a new ticket arriving, and if it really was quiet there was plenty of paperwork or small isues to tidy up.

In Management while there are tighter deadlines and responsibility, on top of a large work load. you don't have the pressure of tickets or users. So if you need a cup of tea you can walk out of the office and get one.

Helpdesk is like having a child, its constant work, and even if they are asleep you are just waiting for them to wake up, so can't enjoy the down time even when its happening.

Management is more full on as it happening, but it is possible if you manage your time well to step away for a break, with out it all hanging over you.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    southside wrote: »
    nice you get paid over time?
    yup
    im glad i am not salary because we get a lot of overtime.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    This is a very interesting thread. I agree that it is what you do with your downtime that makes you a more valuable employee. For those that have 80-100% downtime per day, that would be awesome...
  • Options
    There is always something to do in downtime
  • Options
    Thomas ElliotThomas Elliot Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pretty new to my field, but it's a lot of hurry up and wait. Been waiting to get on a contract for a while now and there is no real contingency plan for waiting to go on and when you come off contract.
    But downtime for me isn't a good thing, being on a contract is what they want you to be, so the less I am being able to bill the government the worse off I am.