Options

What the future will hold..................

iwannaknowITiwannaknowIT Member Posts: 111
I'm getting ready to tackle my ICND2 exam in 1 month and i wanted to get a feel for my next path to certification.I know that VoIP is being implemented big time at my work location(transit system) and they are also on the verge of creating a sort of Security "team",if you will,and I want to be ahead of the curve by either preparing to join the "team" or jump onto the VoIP team. Could any cetified pro give me a heads up on what gonna be the stronger path in terms of the future?

Thnx......

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Both Voice and Security are strong tracks in their own right. Decisions like that generally should boil down to which one interests you more, and which one you would rather do day to day.

Or just do both! The impression I got from reading over the CCNA:S boards is that it is the easiest track to take immediately after completing a CCNA. I obviously can't speak to how much truth there is to that assertion, but it sounds pretty reasonable.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    The best answer to your question should come from you, not us. Regardless of how hot something is or will be someday, it is always best to go with what you like and what makes you happy. Both security and voice are pretty in demand and, chances are, they are going to increase. Where I live there are very few opportunities for security positions and a voice guy could do much better but I would not change tracks even if my life depended on it because I love security and as a result of that I am good at it - I got a couple of job offers and almost everyone else can't even land an interview. Now, I'm not some hacking guru, I'm just good because I really like it. In my opinion you can't go wrong with both but it should come down to your personal preference. Check them out and make your decision. Just my 2 cents
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    You're absolutely correct as far as my own choice goes.It's just that I made a point to totally concentrate on my initial ICND2 studies and have only ran across examples of voice VLANs andsetting up security on switchports,routers,etc.... I consider myself pretty good as far as subnetting and we all know that ACL and wildcard mask play an integral part in terms of configs.Once I'm in a study zone,I am a bit "tunnel-visiony"(hey a new word...lol) so when I attack my next area of concentration,I'm going all in....the telephony sides strikes my curiosity b/c this technology is paving the way for even more creative technololgy in terms of communication..I guess after i obtain my CCNA,I'll sorta kick the can around and see what I'm feeling.....Thnx guys for your inputicon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't seen the President issuing any executive orders on VoIP, and I don't see Security going anywhere. Also kind of hard to outsource since that could be perceived as a security risk. Best to pick something you like, but if I those domains were stock I'd be long Security.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    I haven't seen the President issuing any executive orders on VoIP, and I don't see Security going anywhere. Also kind of hard to outsource since that could be perceived as a security risk. Best to pick something you like, but if I those domains were stock I'd be long Security.

The outsource factor plays a big part for future endeavors.......technology is taking over the human factor in the workforce and I'd much rathere be one of the far and few that understand and work with the technology instead of one of the ones that bit the dust b/c of technology.................