Options

MCSA: Windows 8 vs. Windows 7

MendMend Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Struggling with this decision. I want something that makes sense and should be relevant for the next 3yrs or so.

In my opinion, Windows 7 is really starting to be fully adopted in enterprise environments. And should stay relevant for a while.

There are a ton of well reviewed Win 7 materials out there. Most Win 8 stuff won't be out till mid-late summer. I'd like to get working now on my next cert. I can always take the upgrade exam when I want to bump it up.

Thoughts? I JUST passed my A+ (800 series) and I'm not sure what path I want to take but this seems to be the natural progression besides the N+.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Windows 7 is a good pick. It and Server 2008 R2 are going to be mainstays for the next few years. Particularly this early in your career, you're unlikely to get involved in implementing the brand new stuff. My strong recommendation is if you want to go down a systems path, focus on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2, and upgrade to 8/2012 later.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    DJohnsonRoseDJohnsonRose Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Completely agree with the post above, I would recommend studying towards a MCSA in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, you can then upgrade when the time is right when companies begin to adopt Windows 8 and 2012. Network + is quite good to study at your level.

I can speak from experience because after completing my A+ I went for the Network, Server then MCSA, I am close to my 2008 MCSA.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I had the same thoughts until I picked up a Windows 8 book. If you can get past the initial first impressions (I admit it is hard to do!), you are looking at the same Windows 7 technologies -- and in many instances, the technology is even better. Windows 8 has some new features that you're sure to see in Windows 9 (or whatever it is called).

But I otherwise agree with the group thought that Windows 7 will be around for a long time to come.
  • Options
    MendMend Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I'm actually studying for Net+ at the moment, its been slow going, so I may not finish/certify till Spring. If there isnt enough Win 8 material out, I'll go for Win 7. Thanks.
  • Options
    zen4xzen4x Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello guys. I need the same advice. I am going to take time off from work and I am not really sure if I have to go for a MCSA Win 7 / MCSA 2008 or MCSA Win 8 / MCSA 2012. Can somebody give me a hint if I am starting just know. What should I take into account. Regards.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just do the MCSA Windows 7. You can upgrade to MCSA Windows 8 with a single exam later.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows 8 is like an updated Windows 7 with some new features and enhancements. And then RUINED with the god awful Metro interface, but that's a discussion for another thread... icon_lol.gif

If you are proficient with Windows 8 configuring, management, and deployment, and are able to obtain the MCSA: Windows 8 cert, then I think it would be safe to say that you would be proficient with Windows 7 as well.

If your goal was to minimize study time and the amount of exams you were to take, I don't think it would hurt you to skip the Windows 7 stuff and go straight for the new Windows 8 cert. Likewise for Server 2012.

But that's only if you are interested in learning Windows 8 and navigating/fighting with Metro. (shoot me!)
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    I say get the 70-687 & 70-688

a) it makes you look like your are not scared of tomorrow technology
    b) it will be assumed that you know windows 7 (the only difference is the new UI, File History and Storage Spaces from the old Home Server )
    c) I would rather take two exams instead of three. It would cost more time, money and engery
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I do not see it as being 'scared' of the latest technology, but rather too new into IT.

Windows7 is here for a while and enterprise solutions are not going to throw out W7 so quickly to jump into Windows8, particularly since many have just updated to W7.

As far as the 'two exams is better than three' an IT professional can expect to take a number of exams over their career. No reason not to take the Window7 and in a little while take the update...looks like you are staying current rather than just beginning.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I do not see it as being 'scared' of the latest technology, but rather too new into IT.

Windows7 is here for a while and enterprise solutions are not going to throw out W7 so quickly to jump into Windows8, particularly since many have just updated to W7.

As far as the 'two exams is better than three' an IT professional can expect to take a number of exams over their career. No reason not to take the Window7 and in a little while take the update...looks like you are staying current rather than just beginning.

Grammar nobody has time for that !:)