Options

I officaly give up on finding a job.

Today i get a call from a hiring manager that got my resume, that i sent to him on Craigslist. We had about a 10 minute interview over my technical background. It went pretty good, then the last question that I think he should have asked first is .... "Do you have a license and a car?" My answer was no so it disqualified me from the position. I was so excited I got one of my first calls everything was going good, then ALL WENT UP IN FLAMES. So I'm going to stop applying for jobs for now.

I am hoping that if i add a CCENT onto my resume, that will open up more oppurtunites ?
(I dont know because i am applying for helpdesk/desktop support roles)

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CCENT may help you land some hits on a recruiter's keyword search provided you expanded it out (Cisco Certified...., instead of just CCNA). Apart from that, it does not add too much value, but getting the CCNA will definitely help you get a few more interviews.

Your thread title says that you have given up finding a job. Putting it in some perspective, it took me 8 months to find my first IT job (just after completing my Master's in Engineering) and almost 1 year to find my current job (after having been in IT for about 7 years). Hang in there man. Never give up! Get that CCNA and you should be able to land something.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many jobs require a reliable form of transportation. Have you considered trying to get your license?
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    It was downtown, right outside of the lasalle street metra station. I live right next to a rock island line metra that is a lot more reliable than a car if you ask me. The problem was sometimes you would be required to travel to branch office.

I want to get that CCNA but my biggest problem is the money. I been studying for CCNA for about a month now, and almost ready to take it, but there is just no money for it right now. Thats why i was asking about CCENT
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    ... "Do you have a license and a car?" My answer was no so it disqualified me from the position...

...The problem was sometimes you would be required to travel to branch office...

& this wasn't in the job description?
  • Options
    Xyro wrote: »
    & this wasn't in the job description?

Nope....
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you a CCENT?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    No but it will be the next cetification im planning on getting. Pretty soon
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you have a license? Maybe you should get that instead of a CCNA.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Swiss, I live in Chicago as well and I'm noticing that this is now a requirement for alot of IT positions in the city as they want you to be able to travel to different sites.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Look for NOC type work which doesn't require you to travel. You usually work out of 1 location. You can use that to build a foundation for more money, certs, and trasportion. Some NOC's pay over 100K for high level jobs.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shodown makes a good point. Focus on the NA and land a NOC position, that should really get the ball rolling.
  • Options
    danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    It would do you much good if you get a CCNA. I'd go for the CCNA instead of the CCENT bro.. and I understand, the financial hold down can be a pain in the butt.. but it's alright. Don't give up, keep hanging in there - something will happen soon.
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • Options
    Yeah i could probably get my license but the problem would be getting a car. Cause my family is not the richest around to get me a car and insurance, I was hoping to get a job to be able to get these things, but getting job is pretty hard, and I think i will try to look for and apply to NOC positions also.
  • Options
    Maybe look at workmarket.com to land a few jobs and perhaps make enough to buy a car. A few members on here are regulars on that site.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Nope....
    Rough..
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep at it and you will get something. If you list the CCENT I would put something like 'In progress' so it doesn't mislead potential employers.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    I mentioned training for CCENT on my resume, and I do think i qualify for NOC technician positions because of my qualifications.

I also went to that site Work Market, and signed up and got approve, but not sure on how it works.
  • Options
    If you are not sure, then find out! One of our members, themagicone, has been strike out on his own from all the contacts he's made from workmarket.com . He works for himself and the money he makes is all his.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    A couple of possible issues doing platform work. Most of it is an hour or two and you are required to provide your own transportation, tools, cell phone, and pay your own taxes, insurance, etc. Most of the work is break/fix warm body type work that pays $20-$35 an hour. Some of the work is more than two hours and some of it pays more than the above rate. Some of the work requires a background check and/or drug test that you pay for. Basically you are an independent business with all the positives and negatives. It can be great work IF you are prepared for the responsibility and costs.