Options

Leaving a job without another one lined up (to focus on learning)

MDrverMDrver Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just looking for a little advice on a matter. I posted here roughly a month ago regarding my job and situation. To summarize, I was worried that I was not getting the experience I felt I needed. I was simply using show commands for Cisco uBRs and nothing else. I had 0 downtime all shift.

Fast forward a month, and things are worse. I am no longer even using show commands; I am stuck on a project that requires me to basically sit on a conference call all day, reading values to technicians. This goes on all shift, every shift. (I have asked to move off, and was told bluntly that this is the job I will be doing). It is borderline not even IT related!

When my days off come, my brain is jello and I can't find the energy to study. I am sometimes pulling 50+ hr weeks, and some shifts do not even come with a lunch break!

This job is also temporary, with no benefits nor paid days off. There is no timetable on getting hired full time.

I am seriously considering just leaving to focus on studying. i know certifications are not everything, but i feel i would be better off if i had some more certifications (CCCA, MCSA) as well as the knowledge that came with it. Not having a job seems daunting for sure, but I am financially stable and would not be in dire straights if I were to do so.

I am also concerned about only having a job for a few months on my résumé (even if it is a contractor position).

This website gives great advice, and I thank everyone for taking their time to answer.

-Mike

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1. Which market are you in?
    2. Search indeed, dice, simplyhired, monster, craigslist and see what certs/skills are needed...for example..in Denver, networking is hot
    3. What fields/technologies are you interested in?
    4. How long can you go without a job before you financial situation gets tighter?

This will me help before I give some advice
  • Options
    1. NYC
    2. I constantly search and apply, but mostly get recruited for desktop/help desk positions. I feel I can do better with self-education. Obviously I would apply to these jobs if push came to shove.
    3. I would like to eventually become a network administrator/engineer. I love routing technologies and concepts.
    4. Over one year. I'm aiming for a new job in roughly 6 months.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi Mike and welcome to TE.

I think that leaving a job without another one lined up is largely an individual matter. Most people would advise that it's better to not quit and find a new job first. That rationale is based on perception that a job candidate is usually seen as more desirable if that individual is already employed.

Obviously financial factors (can you afford to be unemployed) and unemployment rate are dimensions to your decision.

It does sound like part of your problem may be that because you are already working 50+ hours per week, it may be tough to focus on a job search and continuing education. So that said, it may be worth the risk to you since you indicated that you are financially stable - but I would caution that you consider things like health-care, etc.

I personally have only ever left a well-paying job without another job lined-up because during that period, the economy was very strong and my skillset was in very high-demand.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Even though you do not want to work in desktop support or help desk position you might have to start there just to gain IT experience. But I would suggest knocking out the CCNA and applying then, you should get some calls back for NOC positions.

A few more questions

1. Do you have a degree?
    2. Do you have prior work experience?
  • Options
    I currently work in a NOC, although I feel Other NOC positions would be different.

I have a bachelors degree in economics, as well as roughly two years in IT support. I attended and passed the Cisco academy through my local college. I also have about 3 years in retail operations management. I understand I still qualify as "entry level."

I may be able to land an internship with my alma-matter while I am unemployed. At least it would be a resume filler. I have not had a gap in my employment history at any time.
  • Options
    MDrver, I feel you on the NOC part! I did more admin work (answering calls, handling bridges between departments, open/closing tickets) then networking work. But we all have to start somewhere and earn our "stripes".

With a degree and past work experience, pass the CCNA ASAP and I bet you will have people calling for interviews. Have you thought about moving out of NYC?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you thought about moving out of NYC?
    Are you asking that because your username belies your baseball allegiance icon_twisted.gif Sorry couldn't help myself.

On a more serious note - @MDrver - with 2 years in IT, you are pretty close to being at that inflection point where your choices in where you work could influence your future career. Your idea of trying to land an internship is good thought. It will certainly be a great resume filler and more so - it can highlight that you identified a growth opportunity in your career and you took it. It's a good story to tell to future employers. I would agree with Yuck - perhaps having that cert could be a quick boast.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input. It is appreciated.

My only other concern is that at my previous IT job, I only lasted 2 months. I moved to this one at the NOC and it has only been 4 months. I don't want to seem like a job hopper, even though this current one is contract (previous one was not).

Prior to that, I worked over 5 years for the same company. I started in the IT field, then was moved to retail management after the dissolution of my position (corporate restructuring). So technically, my job progression has been like this:

IT (1.5 years) > Retail (3.5 years) > IT (2 months) > IT (4 months)

I am willing to explain why I left each job, and I feel my reasons were valid.

As for relocation, I do not mind. I would hope I could get a job that would provide for myself and my family (future tense).

If I were to leave, I could get my CCNA within a month max. I only need to review. I would then go for my MCSA in windows 7 (probably another month or so with hard work and long study/sim days). I currently have A+ and Net+. My plan was to get more certs with this job, but I don't think it will happen as I had planned.

Finally, I'm a yankee fan, deal with it!!!! Haha
  • Options
    1. YuckTheFankees is my fantasy baseball name and since it's sorta catchy, I use it on the forums. Go Tigers icon_thumright.gif
    2. You might scare off some employers but most will at least interview.
    3. After the CCNA, maybe look at the JNCIA. In the majority of my interviews, I get asked networking and Linux questions...so maybe look into RHCSA or Linux+
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    some good advice thus far. i would say if you do leave your job make sure you are prepared to be unemployed for at least 9 months. I believe that is the average length of unemployment right now.

Your best bet however is to suck it up, study for that CCNA while still working, and then start looking. Study on the subway to and from work. Study all day on sundays. in a few weeks you should be able to pass the CCNA. Also post your resume on this site to get feedback.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I actually did this, here is my story.

I was working in HR at the time with PeopleSoft (Yuck). Working for a public school, working 60 hours a week, working with alot of internal fraud issues with the payroll/accounting with no end in sight. My managers knew of the fraud and were throwing more work onto me to keep the trail cold. Work that could never be completed, because my managers would throw me into no win situations. Ontop of doing grad school at night. Burnout city.

I had some money saved up for a house and was living under my means. I sat down and did the math. I could quit the job and finish my degree by the end of the year (2005). I also figured if I had to, once I finished school, if I had to, I would work two jobs, one during the day and one at night to keep the lights on.

So I quit.

I focused on school and graduated in December. Found a new job by mid February 2006.

In retrospect my degree is totally worthless, however if you have a plan, some money set aside, live below your means. By all means, go for it.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Use the hate that you feel for your current role as motivation to study to get a better role. Maybe not easy, but feeding yourself with no job isn't any easier.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Your best bet however is to suck it up, study for that CCNA while still working, and then start looking
    This ^
    MDrver wrote: »
    IT (1.5 years) > Retail (3.5 years) > IT (2 months) > IT (4 months)
    This looks like someone who is undecided about being in IT, to me.

& lunch breaks?? paid days off?? lol what are these???
  • Options
    I understand how it can appear, even though it was out of my control. My first position was dissolved, and I had the choice of moving into the retail sector or joining the unemployment line. I was also paying my way through my bachelors. Before that, I was employed for a year and a half as a PC technician at a major electronic chain.

My future hope is to find a long term position so I can remove the 2month job. I took that job because I was being relocated to a different area in retail, and figured it was time to take the leap and get back into what I love. Unfortunately, the pay was not great, and the position was going to be moved to part time the next month. I was offered this job, and took it, expecting to gain some solid experience.

I appreciate all the input here. I haven't quit nor made any gesture that I will be doing so; I have made a mental objective of hitting the 6 month mark with this job before I even do anything drastic.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    It sounds like you have a good plan of what you need to do... staying there until at least the 6-month mark. icon_thumright.gif

Keep your chin up bro. It can get difficult like this at times, but in the end it's all worth it.

It can be rough, but keep studying! Don't let anything stop you from reaching your goals.