Please share your study methods

jackleejacklee Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Having read through the forums, I know I must use more than one book to study.
Which way should I go ?

1. Read one book after another

This way, I'm worried I wouldn't get the concept thoroughly.

2. Read domain from each book concurrently.

This way, I'm worried I would forget chapters that I had read.

Please advice. Thank you.

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi Jack - unfortunately there is no magic formula to it. Each person learns and retains knowledge in their own way. Most people are blended learners - meaning they learn best through a variety of inputs. Instead of just reading - have you considered using other materials other than books - what about:

1) Join a study group?
    2) If you have the Shon Harris AIO - I think that you can download the audio recordings of the bootcamp.
    3) If you can afford it, get a bootcamp or online CBT.

I assume that you are asking about study for the CISSP based on your other postings. One thing that I can recall about the exam is that if you really do have the background in the domain topics, learning the material isn't too bad.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    If you are referring to the CISSP certification here are some good tips that might help you achieve such a valuable cert:

1. Read Shon Harris AIO
    2. InfoSec Bootcamp in Colorado Springs, CO
    3. Review Quick Tips from the book mentioned above
    4. Read CISSP Study Guide - Eric Conrad (helped me pass the exam) - A lot easier to read than the Shon Harris bible
    5. CCCure test questions (do as many as you possibly could)

I also purchased the Shon Harris CISSP DVDs. They are a good filler but I wouldn't depend on it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Read my blog articles about the CISSP and SSCP exam experience. In them I recommend some study habits to follow.

Basically, what I do is read through a chapter and highlight the main points and facts. I then re-read my highlighted passages and make notes of the points I need to know for the exam. I then study only my notes for the 1-2 weeks before my exam. This is what works for me, and it might work for you as well.
  • jackleejacklee Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice. :)
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I pretty much did the same as Humble except I also had an online bootcamp from infosec.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Watch the SANS CISSP webcast. I just used the Conrad book - read a chapter with a highlighter, then go back and read it again, taking notes as I go. A couple weeks out, I started with the cccure.org tests - usually @200+ questions a session, at least once a day. I always used the mode that shows you the answer, and why it is right or wrong. Read notes, and use the cliff notes style study guides from cccure.org to help review the specific things like what acronyms mean, security models, etc. Schedule your test for a bit later in the day so you can have a casual brunch/lunch. Plan on taking a break after around 100 questions and around 175, depending. Bring a snack and some caffeine and give your head a chance to clear before heading back. Every has their own strategy, but I just answered each question as it came up, didn't flag any for review, and was finished in just over a couple hours.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    paul78 wrote: »
    If you have the Shon Harris AIO - I think that you can download the audio recordings of the bootcamp.

There is a link in the back of both the AIO book and the Shon Harris sample test questions book. You can use the link to get access to and download the Shon Harris lectures. These helped me a lot to stay constantly involved when I didn't have free time to study. When I was driving, I would pop the cd in. When at work, I'd listen to the lectures on ipod. You'll quickly start to hate her voice, but they do help a lot.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    Bundiman wrote: »
    I pretty much did the same as Humble except I also had an online bootcamp from infosec.

Oh.... thank you for reminding me!

I took the InfoSec bootcamp in Colorado Springs, CO.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Something essential to keep in mind is flexibility. Be on the lookout for things that don't work and adjust accordingly. I started reading the AIO and then stopped because I couldn't take the overly verbose ways of Shon Harris. I switched to the Conrad book as my primary source referencing the AIO only on my weak areas such as crypto. Same thing applies for the test. I ended up taking no breaks and didn't even touch the snacks I brought. Although my plan was to take two breaks, I was so immersed in the test that determined stopping momentarily would be counterproductive.
  • someslackersomeslacker Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Something essential to keep in mind is flexibility. Be on the lookout for things that don't work and adjust accordingly. I started reading the AIO and then stopped because I couldn't take the overly verbose ways of Shon Harris. I switched to the Conrad book as my primary source referencing the AIO only on my weak areas such as crypto. Same thing applies for the test. I ended up taking no breaks and didn't even touch the snacks I brought. Although my plan was to take two breaks, I was so immersed in the test that determined stopping momentarily would be counterproductive.

I'm with Cyberguypr on this. I started out with the Shon AIO but bogged down with the off-track commentary. My A.D.D. kicks in after 10 seconds of drivel so I promptly switched to Eric Conrad's book which, for me, is the perfect balance of information and pace. If there were parts that I questioned or had issues with I would either go to Shon's book for clarification or the net for other points of view.

With Eric's book, and Shon's for that matter, I did the pre-chapter quizzes. All of them back to back. Once done I began reviewing the chapters I did not do well on. Once I felt comfortable with the chapter I would retake the exam quiz. If that was up to par I would move on.

During the test I only took one break. I had finished the test in about 2 hours (yes, hyper-focused A.D.D.) and took a quick drink break before going over the dozen or so questions I marked. Spent another 30 minutes hitting the questionable ones and making sure I didn't miss a bubble and cascade that error through the test.