Options

Breaking Bitlocker

rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI guys
Is there anyway to break a file which has been encrypted by Bitlocker in Windows 7 ?I've read somewhere it is possible but somewhere no.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not legally ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    That's not so illegal .i just wanna know the methods.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If its legal then I am sure you can find easy steps online :)

Seriously though - it won't be easy, otherwise there wouldn't be a point in using Bitlocker in the first place - I doubt you get an answer here.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    The bitlocker key is AES-CBC-128, ie more or less uncrackable with current technology. I know of some commercial tools (which I'm not going to name here) that can recovery the master key from a system memory ****, but that's only going to work with powered on systems that have already been unlocked, and you have RDP/console access to.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    I intended no illegal activity.I was searching for some cryptographic algorithms that i found these :
    Schneier on Security: Microsoft's BitLocker
    Schneier on Security: Breaking Hard-Disk Encryption
    So i wanted to know f anybody has any experience with breaking this feature.By the way,thank you all for your information icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The article is in line with what jmritenour said; the tool analyzes memory ****.

You original question confuses me. Do you actually mean Bitlocker encryption? Bitlocker only encrypts drives, If you are talking about a single file maybe you mean EFS? What are the specifics of the scenario you present?
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    The article is in line with what jmritenour said; the tool analyzes memory ****.

You original question confuses me. Do you actually mean Bitlocker encryption? Bitlocker only encrypts drives, If you are talking about a single file maybe you mean EFS? What are the specifics of the scenario you present?

I meant a drive,a 400G drive.The drive was deleted by mistake and it was encrypted by Bitlocker.Since the information was important I wanted to make sure if it is possible to recover the master key .However,I found the backup key which was made before and the problem was solved .If I couldn't find the key that was disastericon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If those machines are domain joined you may want to look into storing they key in AD. It just gives you that extra peace of mind.

Backing Up BitLocker and TPM Recovery Information to AD DS
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am currently reviewing for the 70-680 and also have a question similar in nature to this except from the side of the TPM. Does BitLocker associate only a key or is it a key and some form of identifier. For example, if I had a Smart Card and someone stole it, couldn't they simply copy the data from the card and create their own TPM for my device?