Options

When to drop old jobs (resume)

Hey all, got a quick question for you:

At what point do you consider dropping old jobs that have no IT relation? For example, I worked sales for a few years and construction (total of 5 years for both). After that I worked as a depot tech, service desk, and now operations (total of 3-ish years for these three). Currently, I have my IT jobs on the main page, and my non-related work on page 2. Just wanted to know how long you guys think I should have worked in IT before I can phase them out or if I should keep them to show longevity.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When they are no longer relevant and I have experience to replace them with.

Also its how much info you put in about the job.

For example it is 9 years since I worked in Science as a scientists, and for my last job I left that out of my CV. However for my current role it is a scientific research institute. So I put in back in as a very brief few lines as I thought it might be interesting to the potential employer.

I have to say if I read a CV and it has gaps in it then I will ask what some one was doing during them, out of work possible, in jail?? apart from working in Mc Donalds or behind a till as a summer job. Any serious employment I would be inclined to included, but only as a single line saying company, position and dates.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lol @ being in jail! Devil's right on the money with his post. I will always keep me resume to two pages, when I cant fit the older jobs in, they get booted from the resume. I dont think the new employer needs to know what you did 6 jobs ago unless you launched a satellite or discovered a solar system.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with Devil about running one line for the position.

I was in real estate for a few years and that is exactly what I did, list the job with dates and title and that is it.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I may post mine later and let you guys have a go at it. A visual may serve a better purpose or lead to a completely different solution for the whole number of pages issue. I appreciate the input though. I can see where either way could have it's pros and cons.
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Lol @ being in jail! Devil's right on the money with his post. I will always keep me resume to two pages, when I cant fit the older jobs in, they get booted from the resume. I dont think the new employer needs to know what you did 6 jobs ago unless you launched a satellite or discovered a solar system.

+1 to what Essendon stated. The most important thing is all your info fit on 2 pages. And if you were in jail list it as social development in a rehabilitation center, lol!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    DevilWAH and N2IT hit it on the head; simply list the location (City, State), Company, and dates of employment--this way you can minimize the space taken on your resume while showing continual employment, even if not related to current aspirations.

I only list a few of my certs and leave off 2 years of hourly IT experience since my 5 years of FTE effectively communicate my skillset and goals. This is also an attempt to keep my resume as tight and concise as possible. If you can get your resume to 1 page, I would recommend it.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I dropped my old non-IT jobs as soon as I had a couple of jobs to take their place on the resume.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I've kinda been wondering this too. Prior to getting into IT, I worked at walmart as a customer service manager for 3 years. I've been hesitant to take it off my resume because (unlike my IT jobs) it shows management experience. Then again, it is Walmart...so not sure how credible that even is... Thoughts?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have all jobs on CV, related or not. But I do have indeed seperated them. I only ever write what I have done where and what for the last three job (Employment History) and then I have a section where I name the rest (Further Employment History) - which also just includes Company Name, Location and job held. My CV dates back to 1996 and still .. up to my recent job .. had two pages .. now I am finally on three .. that sucks :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I've kinda been wondering this too. Prior to getting into IT, I worked at walmart as a customer service manager for 3 years. I've been hesitant to take it off my resume because (unlike my IT jobs) it shows management experience. Then again, it is Walmart...so not sure how credible that even is... Thoughts?
    I think showing the ability to succeed on the business side can be valuable on an IT resume. I have a small amount of non IT on my resume as well.