Options

Help Me

pinktoenelspinktoenels Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
I need some guidance. I am 33 (as 2/10), I have my BS in Computer Engineering from Devry 2/04, and I have worked in a Command Center for a credit card company from 6/05-6/06 doing network monitoring, batch jobs, a little AIX, tec access, before that help desk at Calltech. I was only making 13/hr at the time and could not survive so I left IT and went into collections. I have been in collections for the last 6 years. In August I decided I wanted more out of life than my dead end job could afford me. But I can't even get an entry level desktop technician job. I am A+ certified from 4/06 so I am lifetime status. I am thinking of getting CCENT and thought it would look good on my resume if I got a Cisco discovery certificate from my local community college. I guess my question is two fold - How do I get started back in IT? And then which path should I take or should I wait to see what I get exposed to and what I like the best? I loved doing batch jobs and I loved AIX, but I have never configured a switch or router other than my own wireless router at home. I would like not to waste much time so I would like to have a definite idea of what I want. I cannot choose between network engineering or systems engineering. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would first start by capturing all of your skills and put them on paper. Then build out a resume and spend a lot of time in your professional summary discussing how you want to get back into IT. Since you have spent 6 years in a non related IT field you will need to first explain and remove that element of risk from your resume. You may want to go through a recruiter a lot of times they can explain your situation and sell you to their client.

Get a resume going and post it on here for review or pay someone to write you a nice resume if you don't possess those skills. Get that resume out on LinkedIn, Indeed, Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, etc. (Essentially creating a profile for each service)

This should get you some hits and from there you can fine tune things. It's a process that requires some effort so don't expect to knock it out on the first try. Those are unrealistic expectations.

If you are going for deskside jobs the CCENT won't be of much use, you would be better off getting a Windows 7 certification. That would show you are more current. Now if you are going for a NOC position like you did in 05 - 06 the CCNA would be a nice one to get. It really depends on which route you want to go.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    N2 hit the mark pretty well. And I can relate to an extent as I have been in IT for 3 years now and cannot get a Desktop Support position to save my life. Certainly do not quit your job, but you may need to prepare to take a step back or accept a position below what you are expecting to prove you still have what it takes.

While I agree that a MCTS W7 would be more valuable for a Desktop Support position, I don't know that you should force yourself into that path. If you enjoy networking, a CCENT might be a nice start back into IT even if it doesn't directly apply to your current career search. I would hate for you to struggle to find a job and be forcing yourself to study something you dislike, as it might lead to you rapidly losing hope in IT; that was my experience anyway.

That said, the MCTS would do loads for the job search and if you don't like it, you might have to bite the bullet at some point anyway. In the end, it might all come down to your determination and patients as the search may take a few months until you get someone who will let you prove your worth.
  • Options
    pinktoenelspinktoenels Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. My CCNA class is scheduled in May. I am writing a targeted resume and I have sent it to a recruiter. I want to get some feedback before I circulate it. So I will post it on here once I hear from her. I was wondering which MCTS would you guys suggest? I would love to do the 680 and I think I could do it within the next month. I do not know a lot about Exchange so it might be exciting to do 622.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In the certification world less is more sometimes. I think the CCNA would be your best bet for the meantime and then transition into something else once working in IT. Win 7 is another possibility but I don't think getting both is required.