Which cert should I go for next?

mrploddymrploddy Posts: 38Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a quandry as to which cert to go for next so thought I'd open it up to the 'wisdom of the crowd' for a bit of advice.

I'm a web dev by trade and I don't need the certs for my current job this is more for a future career move which could involve a move overseas to Asia.

The certs I already have are -
MCSD Windows Store Apps using HTML5 (including the HTML5 specialization)
Zend Certified Engineer PHP 5.3
Magento Certified Developer

The ones I could for are -

MCSA Windows 7 MCITP EA Windows 7 + MCSA Windows 8 Upgrade
Pro - gives me a general cert for desktop environments to broaden career choice when I move overseas
Cons - No real experience job wise apart from a year in a computer retailer

(This is my current favourite because I can get 4 certs in 4 exams)

Linux + / LPIC 1
Pro - I already have web server management experience
Con - i don't really want to go in to full on sysadmin / and/or learn sysadmin role

Zend Framework Certified Engineer 1
Pro - Already reasonably proficient in it
Con - It's based on a 4 year+ outdated version of the framework

Oracle Mysql Developer
Pro - Validates experience in MySQL
Con - Is it really worth anything outside of the DBA field ? (+ it's expensive)

Networking cert - which I'm not sure...Network+ ? CCNA ?
Pro - Broaden career options
Con - Most certs seem to be renewable and would it really fit my career path ?

I'd rather not collect a lot of certs that I have to renew. I'd rather concentrate on ones that are really worth it so don't see the point of pursuing say A+

Any suggestions appreciated ?

-mrploddy

Comments

• instant000instant000 Posts: 1,745Member
    This may take you by surprise, but, other than certs, what degrees do you have?

Do you already have, say, a Master's in Computer Science?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • mrploddymrploddy Posts: 38Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    I already have 2 Batchellor degrees one with hardcore IT and one with web dev in it so don't really want to embark on that trail again LOL
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Posts: 149Member
    What do see yourself doing or plan on doing in the future? I would start from there to narrow down the list of certs.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)